PDA

View Full Version : Front Bulkhead Angle

Ryan_UWFSAE
07-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Hey everyone.
I was wondering if there were any rules about the bulkhead being angled back slightly (about 15 degrees).
I went through everything I could find, and it didn't mention anything about angles. I haven't seen anyone run a setup like this, so I'm wondering if there was a reason.

Thanks,
-Ryan

Ryan_UWFSAE
07-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Hey everyone.
I was wondering if there were any rules about the bulkhead being angled back slightly (about 15 degrees).
I went through everything I could find, and it didn't mention anything about angles. I haven't seen anyone run a setup like this, so I'm wondering if there was a reason.

Thanks,
-Ryan

Drew Price
07-21-2007, 07:57 PM
I don't see anything prohibiting the angling of the bulkhead off of vertical, but remember to take into account that the measure of the length of the impact attenuator is measured on the fore/aft axis, and it must extend a minimum of 150mm forward of the bulkhead (rule 3.3.6.3, first and second paragraphs), so it might end up being larger than necessary.

Also, the loadpaths for your attenuator may come more into question, as attaching it at an angle may make it more likely to shear the attenuator off of the bulkhead insted of it crushing.

15* isn't probably enough to actually do this, but you will have to justify it.

Ryan_UWFSAE
07-21-2007, 08:56 PM
I thought about the attenuator wanting to shear off that way, and I'm pretty sure we can accomodate without too much trouble. Thanks.

-Ryan

MikeDutsa
07-22-2007, 08:06 AM
minimum of 150mm forward of the bulkhead (rule 3.3.6.3, first and second paragraphs),

for '08 it is 200mm

Ryan_UWFSAE
07-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks Mike.