PDA

View Full Version : 3 point bending in solidworks/cosmos

CameronBeaton
02-07-2012, 01:21 AM
Hi,

I have just started using solidworks/cosmos for some FEA analysis but I can't figure out how to model 3 point bending. This sould be very simple but cosmos is the most backwards FEA software I've had to use.

The problem I am having is I can't apply a load to the centre of the beam, only across the surface due to the fact that meshing is the last thing it does. I tryed creating a near ridgid solid at the centre to apply forces to but this was too difficult to solve apparently.

Any help would be much appreshated.

CameronBeaton
02-07-2012, 01:21 AM
Hi,

I have just started using solidworks/cosmos for some FEA analysis but I can't figure out how to model 3 point bending. This sould be very simple but cosmos is the most backwards FEA software I've had to use.

The problem I am having is I can't apply a load to the centre of the beam, only across the surface due to the fact that meshing is the last thing it does. I tryed creating a near ridgid solid at the centre to apply forces to but this was too difficult to solve apparently.

Any help would be much appreshated.

RobbyObby
02-07-2012, 01:41 AM
You can create split lines along the surface you are trying to analyze to create a smaller more localized surface to apply a load to. Or you can apply a remote load at a specified location.
Why are you trying to analyze a 3 point bending test anyway? Are you just trying to use it learn Cosmos? Or to validate physical testing? Or what?

CameronBeaton
02-07-2012, 02:14 AM
Its for validating composite modeling against physical testing.

Creating two surfaces seems to have worked, thank you

RobbyObby
02-08-2012, 01:57 AM
Glad to help!