PDA

View Full Version : Front Mounted Radiator

Will M
03-21-2012, 12:27 PM
It seems every year that FSAE aero gets more advanced with things like DRS. But I was wondering if any teams had considered using a front mounted radiator. I have never seen one but surely it has at least been considered. While it would be a challenge I think it could have some benefits.

So here is my pro/con list for it:
Pro
-decrease frontal area (in the same spot as the impact attenuator)
-cleaner air flow at rear/mid
-more freedom for aero in the rear/mid of the car
-possible lotus 7 homage car

Con
-more complex and heavier plumbing
-needs new impact attenuator idea
- less clean air flow in front

I know it is not a standard set up for formula racing (well at least for the last 40 years!) but with the right set up i think it could really help the aero.

Any thoughts?

Will M
03-21-2012, 12:27 PM
It seems every year that FSAE aero gets more advanced with things like DRS. But I was wondering if any teams had considered using a front mounted radiator. I have never seen one but surely it has at least been considered. While it would be a challenge I think it could have some benefits.

So here is my pro/con list for it:
Pro
-decrease frontal area (in the same spot as the impact attenuator)
-cleaner air flow at rear/mid
-more freedom for aero in the rear/mid of the car
-possible lotus 7 homage car

Con
-more complex and heavier plumbing
-needs new impact attenuator idea
- less clean air flow in front

I know it is not a standard set up for formula racing (well at least for the last 40 years!) but with the right set up i think it could really help the aero.

Any thoughts?

Crispy
03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Rule B3.18.2 might give you trouble.

Will M
03-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Agreed it would.
The challenge would be to incorporate the radiator to be a functional part of the IA.

Jon Burford
03-21-2012, 12:58 PM
A rad as part of the IA. sounds nasty. how about mounting the radiator behind the car, Monash 2010 style, if you really want it out of the way?

Will M
03-21-2012, 01:06 PM
That would be easier and would clear up the mid car area but makes the rear trickier to do a full rear aero set up (engine covers, ect)

Crispy
03-21-2012, 01:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Will M:
Agreed it would.
The challenge would be to incorporate the radiator to be a functional part of the IA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to discourage "outside the box" ideas, but I just can't imagine that being allowed, even if it is not against the letter or intent of any specific rule. If you think otherwise and seriously intend to try it then a question to the rules committee would be a good idea.

MalcolmG
03-21-2012, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crispy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Will M:
Agreed it would.
The challenge would be to incorporate the radiator to be a functional part of the IA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to discourage "outside the box" ideas, but I just can't imagine that being allowed, even if it is not against the letter or intent of any specific rule. If you think otherwise and seriously intend to try it then a question to the rules committee would be a good idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In the past, a rules clarification has stated that brake fluid reservoirs couldn't be mounted in front of the front bulkhead due to the technicality that the liquid inside them is incompressible (really they just don't want you putting anything up there that's not an impact attenuator). I imagine that a radiator would be covered by the same ruling, along with the additional danger of the massive outpouring of steam that would occur if you did crush the radiator

Zac
03-21-2012, 09:22 PM
You missed a con: making your driver uncomfortable. The old-school formula cars with forward mounted radiators get really hot inside.

mech5496
03-22-2012, 02:08 AM
I would imagine that aero teams which struggle to get some air to their side mounted radiators (the front wing is on the way) can take a look at the DUT11. Pretty neat configuration IMHO, although it raises the CoG a bit.