PDA

View Full Version : CBR600rr 05' transmission problem

Kakarot
06-07-2008, 02:21 PM
me and my team where close to finishing the car. Only small parts left to be done, insignificant for running the car. So we decided to take the car out to closest AutoX around us. Close to the end of the day, ECU learned new intake a bit, so it started to run fine. We where running R35 Hoosier tires. So in the middle of the track, tranny craped out on us.

Question is, what is the weak link on those transmissions, and if anyone had similar issue?

ad
06-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Maybe if you could be more generous with information regarding the issue. Have you looked inside the box yet?

Kakarot
06-07-2008, 05:56 PM
no, I have not opened the box yet. The engine runs fine, but every time you try to put it into the gear it does not go into it.
Like it is in neutral. But you can hear the transmission clicking into gear. confusing, I know.

Kota Miyakita
06-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Kakarot,

We had a similar problem too. My guess is that the shift drum or shifting rod is chipped or broken. But also it could be as severe as broken multiple sets of gears. I recommend opening the box and inspecting all the components, it is not that hard. The hardest part will be finding decent parts for decent price.

Good luck.

Wesley
06-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Make sure the clutch isn't stuck in the engaged position... we had that happen to one of our cars and we thought it was dead, so we packed up. Got home to find the cable had caught, and the clutch wouldn't disengage.

Michael Palaszynski
06-09-2008, 02:02 PM
2nd the clutch idea. Pull of the right side engine cover and check to see the clutch actuator arm is rotating freeling. Cracking the block is the next step. Check the dogs. It may sound like an engaging is occurring in the trans, but sounds can be deceiving. It may be possible your dogs could be worn down too much to hold 1st or 2nd gear in place without popping it back into neutral.

fart can
06-10-2008, 06:27 AM
3rd the clutch idea. Pull the cover, check the actuator arm, if that's ok, then inspect the plates. If they are blued, shattered, or appear to not have friction material left they are no good. The service manual will detail service limits.

If the clutch checks out, you should drop the oil pan and look for debris. If there is no debris drop the engine and split the cases. You should be able to leave the top end assembled. This may be obvious, but when disassembling the case bolts it helps to make a 'template' out of cardboard to put the bolts in while the cases are apart. And then use a torque wrench to reassemble.

We've never had problems with transmission (F4i) and we beat the crap out of our motors. I'd say its a clutch problem, but I don't know.

Kakarot
06-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys.
I will check into it.

fart can
06-11-2008, 07:00 AM
I'm sure this is obvious but just be sure to rule out the clutch prior to splitting the cases.