PDA

View Full Version : Can I design parts for next year's car?

Jordan_CSM
04-19-2013, 08:15 PM
So, I won't be on the team next year. I will have graduated. But, seeing as I am on a new team, I want to make it easier for the next team to do things. In an effort to make sure they aren't making the same mistakes I did while designing parts, the frame, etc.

While I am still legally able to work on the team, can I start designing parts for next years car? Even design a new frame?

dmacke
04-19-2013, 11:54 PM
If you don't want the team to make the same mistakes you did then why are you designing the parts again? How does that help the team learn and grow as future professional engineers? Designing parts for them makes it easier for the current year but not in the future. It could potentially create an even bigger knowledge gap. If anything write a paper on your designs from beginning to end discussing how and why you made certain decisions. Also give suggestions on how you would do things differently if you could do them again. That's how I plan to help my team after I am gone.

VFR750R
04-20-2013, 07:06 AM
I have to agree with dmacke.

If you have time to design new parts, use that time to document everything you did, and definitely offer up suggestions, calculations (with documentation) etc...in writing.

If you design them parts and walk away, who will pick those up if the design has to be changed? Give them the tools you have to design parts, but let them take a systems approach, rather than take your few parts you can do now and have to work around them.

This has been the Cornell way for more than 2 decades now. Each member is required to write reports in the fall and spring on the parts they worked on. When a new team member gets on the team, there are dozens of reports to read on the exact parts they are designing in the specific application of FSAE. No published information goes into the depth of trade-offs, data, do's/don'ts, etc. Not all of it is PH.D quality, but a smart rookie can learn a lot very quickly reading reports and they are always there for reference. Reports I wrote in 2003 are still being used today to help team members get started and create an elevated starting point for continued work.