PDA

View Full Version : Heat Treat 4130 Suspeanion

Than
08-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Has anyone heat treated there suspeanion at Texas Heat Treating, Inc? If so what kind of specification did you give them?

Denny Trimble
08-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Most heat treaters want to know the process (quenched and tempered, or stress relieved?), and hardness range if you want Q&T, in Rockwell C.

Also, it's a really good idea to attach hardness testing coupons to your parts, otherwise you will get rockwell test indentations in your parts.

Make sure the samples are approximately the same wall thickness as your parts, and attached with safety wire which can withstand the heat the part will see.

GTmule
08-12-2005, 11:25 AM
When getting A-arms heat treated, what kind of fixtures do you send them on? Or do you bother with that at all?

Denny Trimble
08-12-2005, 11:57 AM
We haven't sent them on any fixtures. One year they came back a little crooked, this year they didn't.

GTmule
08-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Denny Trimble:
We haven't sent them on any fixtures. One year they came back a little crooked, this year they didn't.

I guess yall save things liek finishing the bores in the spherical bearing buckets till after heat treat? What do you use to machine that? reams? (The thought of boring 'em in the mill makes me consider a gun in my mouth)

Denny Trimble
08-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Correct, we use a reamer after heat treatment to finish the spherical bores. Also, don't hold the bores in a vise when you're reaming them, or you'll get a special elliptical press fit http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

rjwoods77
08-12-2005, 04:24 PM
If you do use a jig for heat treating do you have to make it all out of the saem type of steel? Differential expansion and contraction rates?