PDA

View Full Version : rotor/hat mounting

ZRubenson
01-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm looking for a rule clarification...

The rules say that critical braking components need positive locking mechanisms. If you're using a two piece hat/rotor design, as most teams do, does this apply to the bolts that hold the two together? If so, what's a popular way of securing them?

ZRubenson
01-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm looking for a rule clarification...

The rules say that critical braking components need positive locking mechanisms. If you're using a two piece hat/rotor design, as most teams do, does this apply to the bolts that hold the two together? If so, what's a popular way of securing them?

Faterooski
01-31-2008, 08:33 AM
I think you are right, the rules state that all driveline and braking components (which I assume includes 2 piece hat/rotor) must be secured with a positive locking mechanism, as in safety wire, nylocks (with the prescribed # of threads sticking through), interference nut, etc. If you can't get a nut on the other side, safety wire it EVERYTIME you drive. I've seen a "that will never come loose EVER" part come loose at an SCCA autocross on our car. Luckily we had a cotter pin that held.

rjwoods77
01-31-2008, 10:08 AM
ZRubenson,

Just make sure you use a all metal lock nut of some sort. Nylon lock nuts with melt the nylon from the temps involved.

http://aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/nuts.html

I have always been partial to flexlock nuts since they are much more available locally than "jet" or "k" nuts.

ZRubenson
01-31-2008, 11:49 PM
I was planning on using the flexlock nuts, but I couldn't find a grade rating on them. Can I just assume that they're grade 5? I'd rather have an unrated flexlock nut on the brakes than a rated nyloc.

rjwoods77
02-01-2008, 04:34 AM
Make sure you buy a AN flexloc or an SPS technologies flexloc. They have data on both fasteners as long as they arent knockoffs and I think aircraft is safe on that and SPS definetly is since they make them