PDA

View Full Version : steering misconception

Marvel
03-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Hello All!
I have few questions(kick me if its silly)

1.Confused with the term "steering arm".
If I am not wrong,steering arm is just an extension of an upright(may be a bracket sort of..)for the tie-rod attachment.Is this true?
If yes,
1.a)when we draw a geometry for 100% Ackerman, (the imaginary line that meets the center of rear axle); is this imaginary line an "extension of steering arm?" i.e. if the steering arm and upright bracket are same; this bracket has to be angled to get the line meet at rear axle center?
or
1.b)"a line from the front wheel center* to the center of rear axle passing through tie rod attachment on the upright?"

2.*is it wheel center or kingpin axis?

Marvel
03-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Hello All!
I have few questions(kick me if its silly)

1.Confused with the term "steering arm".
If I am not wrong,steering arm is just an extension of an upright(may be a bracket sort of..)for the tie-rod attachment.Is this true?
If yes,
1.a)when we draw a geometry for 100% Ackerman, (the imaginary line that meets the center of rear axle); is this imaginary line an "extension of steering arm?" i.e. if the steering arm and upright bracket are same; this bracket has to be angled to get the line meet at rear axle center?
or
1.b)"a line from the front wheel center* to the center of rear axle passing through tie rod attachment on the upright?"

2.*is it wheel center or kingpin axis?

rmk36
03-10-2012, 01:51 AM
Draw a line between your tie-rod point and your kingpin axis. Then extend this line to the centerline of the car.

Richard Pare
03-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Where that line extends to (forward of, at, or behind) the axle centerline at the car centerline for 100% ackerman will depend on hoe straight the steering links project out from the rack - how perpendicular they are the the car centerline.

If the links sweep backwards going outwards, the line will intersect the car centerline forward of the axle centerline.

Marvel
03-12-2012, 09:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rmk36:
Draw a line between your tie-rod point and your kingpin axis. Then extend this line to the centerline of the car. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You mean in plan view.But what would be my kingpin axis in plan view case I have some degree of inclination?
I have two points-UBJ and LBJ with some inclination forming kingpin axis.