PDA

View Full Version : Man hours to CNC an upright?

MyDuster360
08-10-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm trying to get an estimate on some machine time.

To those team who have machined thier own uprights and spindles, how many hours , on average do you have in them?

MyDuster360
08-10-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm trying to get an estimate on some machine time.

To those team who have machined thier own uprights and spindles, how many hours , on average do you have in them?

Cement Legs
08-10-2005, 08:26 PM
My very first part on the CnC mill was our uprights. Once the code was tested and corrected, none of which shows on the budget report, they took 1 hr each.

Jersey Tom
08-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Totally depends on part complexity, tooling, and machine limitations.

The design we ran with this year and more or less last year is 5-6ish hours each with some tight tolerances and a lot of setups and on some old machines.

I'm redesigning them next year. Should be on the order of 45 minutes on a Fadal, less (30?) on an Okuma or Mori Seiki or Matsuura.

Knowledge of the machining process and your machine limitations is key on parts like this.

Do a lot of saw cutting to get stock down to size. Minimize setups, design so you can have a rigid stock setup, rigid toolholding, good tools designed specifically for the application you're using. Know what kind of speeds and feeds you'll be running, what your machine is capable of handling (lookahead, continuous horsepower rating, spindle speed, feed rates, high or low pressure coolant). The list goes on.

Good design, good machine, good tools, good programer, and an hour or less is in the bag.

Average design, school machines, HSS tools, etc, and it will add hours to your cycle time. And machinist experience in terms of programming a given part. Could increase your cycle time from 5 hours to 15 hours.

Brian Evans
08-11-2005, 11:37 AM
How long on an old manual Bridgie? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Brian

Jersey Tom
08-11-2005, 06:55 PM
I'd feel sorry if any teams limit to 'CNC' was "powerfeed".

Frank
08-11-2005, 11:21 PM
i'll tell you next week, when we machine some more

Ben Beacock
08-12-2005, 05:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jersey Tom:
I'd feel sorry if any teams limit to 'CNC' was "powerfeed". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its surprising what you can do with a rotary table on a regular mill. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Our uprights spent 2 months at a machine shop and were untouched raw stock when i retreived them. So I did the drawings up to do the pockets with the mill and rotary table. That was until the physics dept. caved and agreed to do the pockets on their CNC (we had to pay them too).

GTmule
08-12-2005, 07:59 AM
Hell, I think our powerfeed is broken, too, unless they fixed it over the summer (ha!).

B Hise
08-12-2005, 08:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben Beacock:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jersey Tom:
I'd feel sorry if any teams limit to 'CNC' was "powerfeed". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its surprising what you can do with a rotary table on a regular mill. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Our uprights spent 2 months at a machine shop and were untouched raw stock when i retreived them. So I did the drawings up to do the pockets with the mill and rotary table. That was until the physics dept. caved and agreed to do the pockets on their CNC (we had to pay them too). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our physics dept. is also stingy and unhelpful. When we're in a pinch we buy stock from them at ridiculous markup, its very frustrating.

Bryan

Cement Legs
08-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Frustrating? You are too nice! Departments preying on the funds raised by hard working students trying to bolster up their educational experience in todays competitive markets, to meet the shortcommings of their own internal budgets is nothing short of disgusting. We dont have it as good as some schools but I am certainly glad we dont have to deal with politics like that.....