PDA

View Full Version : engine selection

magrifain_i
03-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Which is better among a 600cc or 450+turbo in practice?

Is 450+turbo enough for fsae?

Thanks

magrifain_i
03-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Which is better among a 600cc or 450+turbo in practice?

Is 450+turbo enough for fsae?

Thanks

mech5107
03-27-2010, 03:24 PM
600cc turbo+supercharger combo.

It will rip the tarmac and have blistering speed.

Also, if you go for a spaceframe, use the tubes as nitrous tank and spay an extra 100hp when needed. Just hide the nitrous injector from the judges.

PatClarke
03-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Chris, that is not a fair reply.

Everyone knows that Chuck Norris used that combination! Result? The car stood still, but the earth moved!
That is possibly the real cause of global warming and here you are inciting an Indian team do do just that!

A possible solution would be to employ what that old geezer Newton said about equal and opposite reactions. We should run two cars in each event simultaneously... one in each direction! That way we could have a dynamic evaluation of the IA!

And with the dynamic events now taking only half as long, we could run more teams per event (but only even numbers)

Cheers

Pat

VFR750R
03-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Magrifain_i

Please, please use the Find function on this forum to find the answers to your questions. You need to spend 12 physical hours reading all the previous posts (and it'll take you 12 hours or more), before we see you post again.

Your questions have all been extremely vague.
You might as well be asking "What's the best way to get to the moon?"

Mikey Antonakakis
03-28-2010, 12:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PatClarke:

Everyone knows that Chuck Norris used that combination! Result? The car stood still, but the earth moved!
That is possibly the real cause of global warming and here you are inciting an Indian team do do just that!

A possible solution would be to employ what that old geezer Newton said about equal and opposite reactions. We should run two cars in each event simultaneously... one in each direction! That way we could have a dynamic evaluation of the IA!

And with the dynamic events now taking only half as long, we could run more teams per event (but only even numbers)

Cheers

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If I could, right now I would give you the best high five the world has ever seen. But for now, this will have to do:

http://thenextweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/hi.jpg

barba_p
03-28-2010, 03:23 AM
Real nice "mech5107"
2 PatClarke- I would expect more from someone who says that he wants to educate young engeneers.

2 magrifain_i- it's hard to say what is better, but I'll point out some aspects. 450cc are ussualy 1 cylnder, and 600cc 4 cylnder so they can pump more air
If you put turbo youll put more stress on engine components, that can reduce reliability, and 600 have 120hp, which with fsae restrictor is reduced to 90 hp
450 are about 30kg, 600 - 60kg
Turbo also needs intercooler, waste gate/blow off,
For new team probably is better to make something more reliable and simplier

mech5107
03-28-2010, 07:44 AM
This forum is not for asking and seeking replies without first.

We are engineers and as far as we want to built an fsae car, we have to design it first.
Design doesn't mean: "which is better?" or "what turbo" or "do i need bigger injector".
It means: study, study, study, simulate, simulate, simulate, test, test, test.

Also, all those "great questions" have been covered over and over and over and over again.

Tim.Wright
03-28-2010, 09:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PatClarke:

Cheers

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahaha, Pat's finally cracked.

Tim

PatClarke
03-29-2010, 01:51 AM
quote Mikey "If I could, right now I would give you the best high five the world has ever seen. But for now, this will have to do"

Mikey, maybe you can do that when I arrive as a Design Judge to give you guys hell in May ;-)

Pat