PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha R6 water pump flow rate??

Rob Davies
03-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Since our engine is off the test bed and I cant find any previous years data I was just wondering if anyone had any data of the R6 water pump flow rate vs engine rpm. We have a week and a half to spec and order a new radio so the info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

GTmule
03-01-2005, 10:46 PM
water pump flow rate vs engine rpm........spec and order a new radio

Man, I forgot the section in or design report about how the radio and the water pump are flow-matched.....I did that last year, too.

Rob Davies
03-02-2005, 02:14 AM
LOL !!

OK it must have been late and I had a mare

I meant radiator - I was there for the first four letter http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

jonno
03-02-2005, 05:42 AM
The same but for the yam wr450f would be handy if any of the 2 other teams i know of using it have it!!!

danzim
03-12-2005, 02:02 PM
yeah i'm keen to find out water flow for CBR600 and WR450F. was gonna do a simple test by plumbing in a flow meter to the coolant lines.

what figures does everyone use for how much heat needs to be lost by the coolant?

in terms of shaft power for engine at max load, i've got
33 - 50 % from one book,
68 - 93 % from another book
and was told to design for about 30% by a tutor who knows everything about bikes.

it makes speccing the radiator a right pain in the arse.

dan

kreuk
04-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Hey Danzim, may I know what book that tell you how much heat to be lost by the coolant?

And Does anyone know how do we get how much coolant temperature will rise in the water jackets?

Daves
04-27-2005, 01:13 AM
I'm not sure flow rate vs. rpm is what you want. You probably want flow rate vs. the change in temperature of the coolant through the engine block. Also, I am not sure most people would give this information away. For one thing, it takes a lot of hard work to get this info, and even after obtaining it, it is hard to tell if it is correct.

One thing I agree with, though, is that the 1/3 (or about 30%) of max power output estimate for cooling is very conservative. For example, for a 70 hp engine (52.2 kW), a radiator that dissipates 17.4 kW of heat should be adequate. This is not a bad starting place.

Rob Davies
04-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Water flow rate would be used to calculate change in temperature of the water. The results wont be fantastic as it is based on alot of assumptions e.g. estimated heat dissipation of an engine. Real life testing would be the way to go. Although, id have thought Yamaha has the flow rate data and someone may have a copy.

Just got some data back from the radiator manufacturer and water flow rate doesnt have a great deal of effect on energy dissipation of the radiator - Its the airflow where it really counts. I guess the lower the flow the more the water heats up and the greater the delta t over the radiator and it flows slower through the radiator and so dissipates that extra heat equally so flow almost cancels out.

Yeah 30% is what we are going with and then rounded it up to 25kW for the R6. The core doesnt weigh a great deal so its better to be over the value and we can just have the fan running a little less (important if you struggle to charge the battery as we do).

danzim
04-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by kreuk:
Hey Danzim, may I know what book that tell you how much heat to be lost by the coolant?

you want compact heat exchangers by kays and london.

you'll have to build your own theoretical models but the data and graphs (eg. effectiveness vs. NTU for un-mixed single pass cross flow heat exchanger) are there.

danzim
04-28-2005, 11:25 AM
hi dave, i am after a rough estimate of water flow rate at max engine speed so i can adjust the value in my calcs. obv it depends on pressure losses etc.

BeaverGuy
04-28-2005, 12:04 PM
If you search really hard on these forums a team posted their water flow rate as a function of engine RPM for the F4i. The equation they gave seems to be reasonable and I imagine the flow is fairly similar for the other engines.

Rex Chan
05-09-2012, 02:55 AM
We just did a flow test on the Honda CBR600RR (03-06) mechanical water pump.

Raw data is here: MUR 2012/Melbourne Uni FSAE: CBR600RR Mechanical Water Pump Flow Test/Rate (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150813205108036&set=a.10150813204983036.409754.559588035&type=3)

Sorry for the spam. Now, people can stop asking this very common question. But you should still do the test yourself.