PDA

View Full Version : CFD at MIS 2010'

colinE30
05-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Does anyone have the name of the program that was being advertised at comp for cfd? There was a lady walking around handing out fliers saying to email her and the company would send fsae teams a copies. I lost the flier and would appreciate any info.

Thanks

colinE30
05-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Does anyone have the name of the program that was being advertised at comp for cfd? There was a lady walking around handing out fliers saying to email her and the company would send fsae teams a copies. I lost the flier and would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Lorenzo Pessa
05-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Hi Colin,
I can't answer directly to you.
I can say it is not difficult to obtain some free licences of "bestselling" CFD programs for Formula SAE.

You can also choose the open software option (Open Foam is starting to be very interesting).

Mehul Botadra
05-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Try Flow Wizard! Its a good software! But nothing beats Ansys! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Xeilos
05-18-2010, 10:03 AM
I would argue the point that nothing beats ANSYS. It all depends on what you are doing. I use both FLUENT and CFX daily in my job (running a simulation in FLUENT as we speak) and it is all what you want from a program.

If you want dead simple CFD with a large chance of bogus results except in the most simple case use COSMOWorks.

If you want good results with an easy to use software package choose ANSYS CFX.

If you want good results with large functionality but with that functionality comes the chance of bogus results choose ANSYS FLUENT.

If you want to use a program with exceptional functionality and the ability to do custom programming so that the software does exactly what you want AND you can handle the vertical learning curve choose OpenFOAM.

Just my 2c, with a minimal number of unqualified random statements.

Lorenzo Pessa
05-19-2010, 12:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xeilos:
If you want good results with large functionality but with that functionality comes the chance of bogus results choose ANSYS FLUENT.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can add here CD Adapco Star CCM+

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xeilos:
If you want to use a program with exceptional functionality and the ability to do custom programming so that the software does exactly what you want AND you can handle the vertical learning curve choose OpenFOAM.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1
To use OpenFOAM you need to be able (qualified!) to manage the magic parameters.
The problem is not the program. The problem is the user! :-)

Starting from the same grid, we are going to compare several CFD solvers, including OpenFOAM.

Mbirt
05-19-2010, 05:41 AM
It was definitely a CD Adapco program, Colin. The name jumped out at me in Lorenzo's post.

colinE30
05-26-2010, 06:17 AM
Ya it is CD-Adapco, for anyone else who is interested they will send one team member to a 3 day class on the program as well as offer teams free licences.