PDA

View Full Version : Tow Vehicle Insurance?

Deeds
01-07-2009, 05:51 PM
For all teams who have gotten tow vehicles sponsored/donated, how did the insurance work? We have a company willing to lend us a vehicle under the condition that we have insurance on whoever's driving, and our school will not cover us for the trip. Any suggestions on how to get around this?

Deeds
01-07-2009, 05:51 PM
For all teams who have gotten tow vehicles sponsored/donated, how did the insurance work? We have a company willing to lend us a vehicle under the condition that we have insurance on whoever's driving, and our school will not cover us for the trip. Any suggestions on how to get around this?

Drew Price
01-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Try talking with your school's Risk Management department (the lawyers), but beware, look and act extremely professional, and refer to it as an engineering competition as much as possible.

We have rented vehicles in the past from our University motorpool office, and they cover insurance through the Uni's fleet account. Other times we have rented vehicles ourselves from Enterprise, or Hertz or whoever, and then you're insured through them.

Lastly, whoever will be driving can call up their personal insurance company, and see what sort of coverage extends to borrowed vehicles, and if that will be sufficient for your donor (policies and companies vary on that matter, so ask!).

Best,
Drew

Diablo_niterider
01-07-2009, 10:59 PM
if you are in the UK,

u can ask the vehicle owner's insurance company to add your name and insurance to the vehicle , a non-commercial high end sports car for 3 months cost me 50 GBP.

and i suggest you dont mention racing anywhere.

js10coastr
01-08-2009, 01:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Diablo_niterider:
and i suggest you dont mention racing anywhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I were to ever run a rental car company I would rent to people under the age of 25, however I would not rent to anyone working in racing.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.co...2524&imageID=1555921 (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=120355403&albumID=582524&imageID=1555921)

Deeds
01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Drew- thanks for your input, sounds like a good idea. I will be talking to some ppl at the university soon.