PDA

View Full Version : machining brake calipers

rwolcott23
01-23-2005, 07:42 PM
We are machining our brake calipers and I have a question regarding the inlet fittings. In the past we have tapped our calipers with pipe threads and then used a suitable adapter from the caliper to the braided line.

I would like to avoid that and go with a cleaner setup this year. Is there a special tool that will drill that hole and leave the right countersink to accept the brake line?

Thanks,
Bob

rjwoods77
01-23-2005, 11:02 PM
If you use a banjo bolt you wont have to worry about machining a jic taper. If memory serves me right there arent any calipers that have a jic taper to them in the caliper. If you wanted to go that route of course.

TA
01-24-2005, 05:52 AM
If I recall correctly Parker sells bits to cut various internal sealing options.

Plastic injection mold guys use them for plumbing molds.

Cheers, Ted

jack
01-24-2005, 11:36 AM
i was in this same situation last year. we ended up drilling a 1/8 NPT hole in the caliper then adapting it to AN or SAE or whatever that tapered fitting was. i agree this isn't the best way to to it. those adapters are rather heavy too. we thought about trying to put the tapered fitting hole on the caliper, but if you don't get the taper right, your SOL. with pipe fitings, you just crank on the fitting and you know it will seal. this year i will have some one look into finding a part that is male 1/8 NPT on one side, and will crimp to the braided line on the other. i know this part exists because its on some of our old cars, its just a bit rare, and probably really expensive.

if you find a part # let me know.
i'll post if i find anything too. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

rwolcott23
01-24-2005, 02:06 PM
For the line to the caliper it is not too much of an issue. The spot I would like this tool for is the line that connects the inner and outer halves. These calipers will not be internally plumbed, though doing that might actually be easier when all is said and done.

"If you use a banjo bolt you wont have to worry about machining a jic taper"

Where can I find these? What exactly is a jic taper and are there tools made to cut them? If so, where can they be found?

"If I recall correctly Parker sells bits to cut various internal sealing options"

I haven't heard of Parker, do you have a web address for them?

Thanks,
Bob

alfordda
01-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Assuming he his talking about Parker Hannifin it is.

www.parker.com (http://www.parker.com)

rjwoods77
01-24-2005, 03:12 PM
SAE has a 45 degree flare.
AN has a 37 degree flare also know as a JIC(joint international ???)

Any an fitting supplier has banjo bolts and the corresponding brake hose fitting to go with it.

I believe he is talkinh about parker-hannifen.

jack
01-24-2005, 05:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The spot I would like this tool for is the line that connects the inner and outer halves <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, we designed calipers that had internal plumbing to avoid this situation.http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

if you look at brakes from some after market companies, they have a flaired hardline between the two halfs. you can get flaired hard line to NPT, SAE, AN or whatever, and there is no adapter. the only bummer is trying to plumb little tight sections of hard line, which is a pain in the ass, but do-able. mild steel line bends easily and smoothly, but rusts, while stainless line is a pain to bend but dosn't rust.

good luck.