PDA

View Full Version : Is M/C remote resiviors considered crushable

rjwoods77
04-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Can I mount M/C Res. in front of the front bulkhead. I imagine I can but I am waiting on a response from the judges but want to put them in now. Anybody do this?

rjwoods77
04-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Can I mount M/C Res. in front of the front bulkhead. I imagine I can but I am waiting on a response from the judges but want to put them in now. Anybody do this?

js10coastr
04-21-2007, 10:07 PM
No... Unless they've changed their minds since '02.

I believe it's a "Cal Poly" rule.

Steve Yao
04-22-2007, 12:39 AM
The short answer is no.

I asked this for 2006. The rules committee's answer was dubious, but it is the rules committee and they have final say.

Their reasoning boiled down to that since the brake "fluid" was incompressible, that you cannot mount the reservoirs forward of the front bulkhead. The obvious clarification one would ask then is there is a difference between "crushable" and "incompressable". The aluminum, CF, or steel we all make our "impact attenuators" from is obviously incompressable, but specific geometries allow ready crushability.

I never actually sent that response though. They are the rules committee. Their word goes.

Gasperini
04-26-2007, 09:35 PM
I bet if you smash one and measure the force and submit THAT to a judge they would be more likely to say, "yes."

Ben Beacock
04-27-2007, 12:40 PM
if you drilled the right size hole in the vent cap, then you could call it a damper (that also happens to hold brake fluid)

rjwoods77
04-27-2007, 04:54 PM
I got the same response about the fluid not being compressable. I guess if I had fluid in a zip lock it would still serve as a anvil in a crash much less a plastic res. Why do I bother even asking some times?

PatClarke
04-28-2007, 06:32 AM
Rob,
There is a lovely Australian expression "Drongo" and I have to say it fits you perfectly.
Why do you think the rules committee make blanket rulings? Because they set precedent and invariably come back and bite you.
You asked the rules committee and then in a fit of pique posted the question here (as if that would get you any response other than making smoke) when there is a statement about how long the RC may take to get back to you. (In your case it was a very quick response).
You then diss the committee decisions on this public forum, knowing (I hope) that the chair of the RC is the head of the Tech Inspection group. Thats a real good way to get a line call judged in your favour! If I were a betting man, I bet your team's Tech Inspection is VERY thorough!
Yep. As well as knowing the strippers name, Rob Woods is a drongo!
Pat

rjwoods77
04-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Pat,

Actually I asked here just before I posted to see what the concensus was because I didnt see anything in the search engine and the team was itching to cut and reweld. I dont think I am dissing anybody because it is my right to diagree with something that doesnt seem to make sense. I dont seem to be the only one who thinks it doesnt make sense but dissing would be a strong word for it. If anything calling me Australian slang words I think would be considered dissing to me. I am certain that our inspection would be just as thorough as anyone elses due to the unbiased nature of the judges http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gifI have been overly sensitive to the comittees needs due to the number of questions I ask instead of assuming I can slip something by.
My sigs are all jokes but sense of humor is needed to see that. All of this because of last names early this year!?! See you soon sir.

rjwoods77
04-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Forgot to note that I posted back here to let people know that the ruling still exsisted like that. Just like I have done with two other things that I have been notified I was doing wrong that people didnt seem to know or were confused about.

PatClarke
04-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Rob,
I know all that. I remember rhe Rod Woobs stuff.
I still think you are a drongo!
For heavens sake stop and think about the repercussions of your posts...how other people percieve your posts (Especially people who might feel dissed).
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing!
Pat

PS, the REAL reason I posted was to knock the religious spam artist off the top of the list http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PPS, the containers you put brake fluid in are called 'reservoirs' http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif