PDA

View Full Version : Rubber flex disc CV's

Drive it like you stole it
10-14-2004, 03:28 PM
I saw these on a car this summer in detroit, can't remember the team though! They said they were BMW drivetrain isolators. Looked dead simple and light. Does anyone have any info on these or know what team it was that ran them? Looking to do something different for this years drivetrain.

Cheers!

Jesse

10-14-2004, 03:28 PM
I saw these on a car this summer in detroit, can't remember the team though! They said they were BMW drivetrain isolators. Looked dead simple and light. Does anyone have any info on these or know what team it was that ran them? Looking to do something different for this years drivetrain.

Cheers!

Jesse

Rob Davies
10-14-2004, 04:34 PM
Its a BMW Mini isnt it??

El Nino
10-15-2004, 12:06 AM
That was us. They are BMW driveshaft "guibos" which are just driveshaft flexdiscs. We had tons of problems with our tripod style CVs on our '03 car so we went with the flexdiscs last year. Simpler, Lighter, Cheaper, and reliable.
I remember chatting with some of you Saskatchewan guys at comp, you were setup across from us. Let me know if oyu have questions.

10-15-2004, 08:38 AM
Excellent, sounds like they worked for you then. Couple of questions, What sort of deflections can they handle? Were they off a specific year/type of BMW that you remember? Thanks for the help!

Jesse

Steve Chalmers
10-25-2004, 03:20 PM
Regarding the "guibos" you speak most highly of, can you give me some more info on the satup you were running which seemed to work so well? I am trying to re-design the drivetrain on this years car and have lots of scope for slimming components down, especially at joints. We use tripod joints and although we have had no problems the housings are way too heavy-duty for what we require.

sgilmore06@qub.ac.uk
Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by El Nino:
That was us. They are BMW driveshaft "guibos" which are just driveshaft flexdiscs. We had tons of problems with our tripod style CVs on our '03 car so we went with the flexdiscs last year. Simpler, Lighter, Cheaper, and reliable.
I remember chatting with some of you Saskatchewan guys at comp, you were setup across from us. Let me know if oyu have questions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

drivetrainUW-Platt
03-11-2005, 10:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">driveshaft flexdiscs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
we are trying to decide on a cv/u-joint combo for our 06 car, any new development on these BMW flex disks, would they take the minimal deflection we are gona see in our driveshafts????

Dan G
03-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Guibos are found on all 3 series e36 BMWs, probably many other cars in the BMW lineup as well.

This is what mine looked like when I bought my car. Part of the reason I got it for a measly $3500...

http://evilallianceracing.com/ipw-web/gallery/albums/3Vil/108_0858_IMG.sized.jpg (http://evilallianceracing.com/ipw-web/gallery/3Vil)
They're more than capable of handling FSAE levels of torque. Ok, maybe the picture above doesn't lead you to think so, but that was the original 140k mile part.

drivetrainUW-Platt
03-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Dan,
I'm not concerned with the axial torque loads, if there from a 3000lb car with 150hp..or whatever, there gona hold up in the fsae car. I'm wondering what kind of axle moventment they will safely handle from the suspension moving up and down, i would assume they are meant to be run on a fixed shaft???

Dan G
03-13-2005, 05:39 AM
The guibo is mounted right behind the trans, before the drive shaft. The driveshaft is supported by a bearing mid way, so the guibo sees very little angular motion. Probably only motion relating to the movement of the engine/trans.

BTW, I've seen similar rubber flex discs used on steering shafts. Although again, they weren't used for an angular coupling, only for torsional/vibrational damping.