PDA

View Full Version : air intake engine

bagusbasuki
02-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Dear all

I'am from Bimasakti FSAE of UGM Indonesia,

I want to ask about on the throttle, our team uses CBR 600 rr engine in 2011 but we are confused on the throttle, why the other team to use one type of throttle, but the standard CBR engine uses the 4 throttle?
to upgrade to one type of throttle any thing to note? and what type of throttle is good for the CBR 600?
please help us because last year we only use the Suzuki ZX250, in 2012, we first use the CBR 600

thanks .

bagusbasuki
02-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Dear all

I'am from Bimasakti FSAE of UGM Indonesia,

I want to ask about on the throttle, our team uses CBR 600 rr engine in 2011 but we are confused on the throttle, why the other team to use one type of throttle, but the standard CBR engine uses the 4 throttle?
to upgrade to one type of throttle any thing to note? and what type of throttle is good for the CBR 600?
please help us because last year we only use the Suzuki ZX250, in 2012, we first use the CBR 600

thanks .

Bemo
02-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Read the rules - there you will find the answer why all teams build an intake with only one throttle.

bagusbasuki
02-13-2012, 09:26 AM
the rules fsae 2012?

Bemo
02-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Of course. According to which rules were you going to design your car to?!

bagusbasuki
02-13-2012, 10:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">According to which rules were you going to design your car to?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK thanks so much ,
i don't read the rules about air intake .
but what's the type throttle for CBR ?

coastertrav
02-13-2012, 11:18 AM
You have to be kidding me...

READ. THE. RULES.

Jon Burford
02-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Hi there.
Can I chip in.
If you have run a car previously you must understand why the cars only use one throttle. This is a rules requirement.
You can use any single throttle you want. It's up to you to decide which is best

Adambomb
02-13-2012, 12:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bagusbasuki:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">According to which rules were you going to design your car to?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK thanks so much ,
i don't read the rules about air intake .
but what's the type throttle for CBR ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are free to read or not read the rules. You are also free to be denied the privilege to race when going through tech.

If that's the level of seriousness you are confronting this project with, you are doomed...

PatClarke
02-14-2012, 05:30 AM
bagusbasuki

AS the earlier answers said. Read the rules. The basic set of rules is identical for every Formula Student or FSAE event in the world (with the exception of India, where they use a spec engine). They can be easily found and downloaded. EVERY member of your team should then read and understand these rules before you take another step.

These rules say the engine will be a four cycle engine with a maximum capacity of 610cc (Any engine! Even one you make yourself) and that ALL air being used by the engine must feed through a single 20mm restrictor and this restrictor must be after the throttle. They are some of the very few rules in FSAE.

Note, this rule does not say anything about the throttle, but about the restrictor. You are free to use whatever throttling device you choose and some teams will use a single carburettor feeding into the restrictor. (Not a good idea for reasons you need to be able to figure out for yourself. (Hint. What is the diameter of the venturi inside a CBR carburettor?)

A word of warning.
Posting requests here for information that can be easily obtained from the rules or other google friendly sources will make you very unpopular on the forum and then one day when you really do need some help, you might find that none is available.

So, off you go to the Official Formula SAE website and download ALL the documents, including the rules. They are in .pdf format. Then print off a copy for every team member and insist they read and understand them.

Then you can start worrying about designing and building a FSAE car.

Welcome to FSAE, done right it is a very worthwhile experience.

Cheers

Pat

Michael Royce
02-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Minor correction to Pat's remarks as his fingers got ahead of themselves.

He meant the Rules say the engine must be a 4 stroke, not 4 cylinder. You can run any number of cylinders from 1 to infinity! Although most new teams do elect to use a 4 cylinder.

Jon Burford
02-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Although more and more are taking the plunge to less cylinders every year I think

Dewi Griffiths
02-14-2012, 03:32 PM
They are indeed. It seems to be the way to go.

Not biased in any way but 2 cylinders is perfect. Preferably in a V formation. Wouldn't you agree Mr Burford?! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Jon Burford
02-14-2012, 03:38 PM
No, Single all the way!

PatClarke
02-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks Michael :-)

Yes 'Four cycle' came out as 'four cylinder' !

I must not type late at night..I must not type late at night.. I must etc etc etc

Pat