PDA

View Full Version : Torsen Assembly

Blake
03-24-2006, 02:18 PM
I am putting back together our torsen differential, and im having alot of problems getting the washers lined up and back where they are supposed to go. Iv checked out the washer diagram on the sit but thats not much of a help. Does any one know exactly how the washers go and if its a tight fit on the sides or what any help would be appreciated.

Boston
03-24-2006, 04:40 PM
From memory: orange thrust washer WITH chamfer: coating facing the gears: chamfer facing outwards, then the plain washer. Between gears: plain washer, orange thrust washer, plain washer. Other side: cross washer, plain washer.

Blake
03-24-2006, 08:27 PM
wow thats pretty good from memory, i thought the middle one was the brass i was really just confused about the orange and do you remember if it was hard to get into the little side parts into the grooves

Chuck Maddocks
03-25-2006, 01:09 AM
the cross washer goes on the outside. i still haven't taken apart our brand new torsen so you can see where each washer goes. the plain washers definately don't go on the outside since the torsen runs on friction (mainly between the outside washers which rub against carrier + the coated washer in the middle). also reference which side is which (aka input side) and top and bottom (for timing). put the outside washers in first then both side gears with the washers in between them. use something to keep the side gears concentric.

what kind of diff are you running? custom housing?
how much does your total diff weigh (including stub axles and housing/oil seal)?

chuck
maryland

Boston
03-26-2006, 10:53 AM
According to Torsen's website, on the side without the orange coating, the plain washer goes on the outside. However its fine to change washer locations. You can change washer locations to tune your TBR.

Chuck Maddocks
03-27-2006, 11:01 AM
according to the site, thrust washer #3 (FNC washer not commercially available) goes on the outside of the non-input side (side without the orange coating). This washer has a slightly smaller outside diameter, so the plain washer might not fit on the outside depending on the tolerances of your custom diff. i made a small rib on that side to keep the smaller washer concentric and only the smaller washer fits there.

the best way to know where each washer goes is to take apart the torsen and keep the washers in order and note which side is which. you might be able to get them back in the wrong order, but the diff probably won't work as well.