PDA

View Full Version : Frame materials

Mi_Ko
11-14-2003, 02:32 PM
Hi

I know we're late (like we always are!), but we are going to manufacture our 2004 frame. We decided to use 4130 (or similliar, any recommendations?) steel instead of other mild steels we used before.

Before we start to work I'm going to ask if you had any troubles with bending tubes, fishmouthing or with welding.
Did you welded with TIG or MAG/MIG welder? Our TIG is weighting 20kg, our MIG is weighting 200kg and is 2.50 height (thats about 300 feet or 0.4 yard http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif). Because of that we wan't to return it (The MAG) to the welding lab on the university, but we're not sure if we shall do that.

2002/03 University of MARIBOR - Team Member

Mi_Ko
11-14-2003, 02:32 PM
Hi

I know we're late (like we always are!), but we are going to manufacture our 2004 frame. We decided to use 4130 (or similliar, any recommendations?) steel instead of other mild steels we used before.

Before we start to work I'm going to ask if you had any troubles with bending tubes, fishmouthing or with welding.
Did you welded with TIG or MAG/MIG welder? Our TIG is weighting 20kg, our MIG is weighting 200kg and is 2.50 height (thats about 300 feet or 0.4 yard http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif). Because of that we wan't to return it (The MAG) to the welding lab on the university, but we're not sure if we shall do that.

2002/03 University of MARIBOR - Team Member

formula_geek
11-15-2003, 09:23 AM
Mi_Ko

Kettering has constructed frames from both 4130 and 1020 mild steel in the four years I've been involved. At one point in the competition, lighter weight 4130 sections could be used in place of the 1020. However, those rules have changed, and all steels are considered the same. Keeping in mind that the stiffness of the two are going to be the same, there are few benefits to using 4130.

It will be difficult to bend, fishmouth, and should be stress-relieved after welding. I would recommend TIG for either type of tubing, as the control is much better than with a MIG welder.

My $.02

Travis Slagle
Kettering University FSAE