PDA

View Full Version : Importing Parts Solidworks

mark_mcd
04-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Hi,

I am having issues importing a chassis model into Solidworks that I hop someone can clear up.

The model is split into three parts, that is front, middle and rear. If I open one part and try to inport the other into it, the imported parts seem to loose their 'weldments' characteristics i.e. frame seems to disappear and leave the model as simply a solid drawing - no use for me as I want to perform analysis on it as a weldments part using COSMOSWorks.

Is there any way to import frame based structures and mate them together by their nodes for example? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again.

mark_mcd
04-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Hi,

I am having issues importing a chassis model into Solidworks that I hop someone can clear up.

The model is split into three parts, that is front, middle and rear. If I open one part and try to inport the other into it, the imported parts seem to loose their 'weldments' characteristics i.e. frame seems to disappear and leave the model as simply a solid drawing - no use for me as I want to perform analysis on it as a weldments part using COSMOSWorks.

Is there any way to import frame based structures and mate them together by their nodes for example? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again.

TorqueWrench
04-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Did you try putting the three parts together in an assembly and setting them for no interference in CosmosWorks?

You click on two parts of the assembly and go to the gaps/contacts tab. You can then specify how the two bodies interact and I think there is an option for "No Penetration" that makes it so they won't go through each other when load is applied.

mark_mcd
04-10-2009, 04:21 AM
The problem is that all three of the parts are weldments frames. However when I insert any of these as a part to link to another, the inserted part is not inserted as a weldment file, but one that is simply solid in structure. By that I mean you can no longer edit the sketch on it or change dimensions.

To clarify it is not COSMOSWorks that is the issue - it is assembling the frame as something useable in Solidworks.

Thanks

TorqueWrench
04-10-2009, 03:30 PM
What program did you make the files in? I know Solidworks makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to modify things imported from other programs. I ran into this a lot over the summer as the place I worked did models in Inventor and I had to redraw most of the parts that required modifications.

mark_mcd
04-11-2009, 04:06 AM
It's Solidworks 07 to Solidworks 07.

I have the chassis in 3 weldment bits - front middle back.

It will not let me stick them together as a single weldments part :/

mark_mcd
04-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Thinking about it a bit more - I would be happy enough if I could simply combine the sketches.

billywight
04-11-2009, 11:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's Solidworks 07 to Solidworks 07.

I have the chassis in 3 weldment bits - front middle back.

It will not let me stick them together as a single weldments part :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try opening them up in different windows, then drag and drop the features from one to another. Not sure if that works or not, but I know that dragging and dropping sketches works.