PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Ideas

EuroUri
09-21-2003, 09:29 PM
I am currently researching possible designs for this year's fuel tank. Last year we used tig welded aluminum which was light but I believe that I could make it lighter using plastic or composite materials. has anyone had any experience with either material? i am trying to find out about injection molded or blow molded plastic as well. i was also suggested plastic welding thin plastic sheets which would be fairly simple. post up what you guys have done in the past, any successes or failures. thanks.

Virginia Tech FSAE
Engine Team: Fuel System
Zylinderkopf VW/Audi Car Club

EuroUri
09-21-2003, 09:29 PM
I am currently researching possible designs for this year's fuel tank. Last year we used tig welded aluminum which was light but I believe that I could make it lighter using plastic or composite materials. has anyone had any experience with either material? i am trying to find out about injection molded or blow molded plastic as well. i was also suggested plastic welding thin plastic sheets which would be fairly simple. post up what you guys have done in the past, any successes or failures. thanks.

Virginia Tech FSAE

woollymoof
09-22-2003, 06:19 PM
No experience, but Ford Aus uses High density polyethylene for their tanks

Cheers,

Kirk Veitch
Swinburne University of Technology

EuroUri
09-23-2003, 09:07 AM
yes, HDPE seems to be a good candidate for tank material. do you know how the tank is constructed? i will try plastic welding if injection molding is not an option.

Virginia Tech FSAE

David Lemire
09-23-2003, 04:21 PM
We have used aluminum tanks for the past 4 year, out of 0.035 or 0.049 inch thick 6061-T6... maybe hard to weld but very light.

David

McGill Racing Team
www.fsae.mcgill.ca (http://www.fsae.mcgill.ca)

woollymoof
09-23-2003, 05:55 PM
looks like they're vacuum formed in two parts and either glued or welded together. I wouldn't be thinking about injection molding, you have to make a die, bloody expensive for a one off part.

Cheers,

Kirk Veitch
Swinburne University of Technology

fsae_alum
09-24-2003, 07:52 AM
You could find a good (read cheap) thermoformer and thermoform 2 separate pieces off of a simple wooden tool and then plastic weld them together!!

In spite of...

EuroUri
10-15-2003, 07:34 AM
have any teams used a plastic fuel tank in competition? if so I have a bunch of questions for you. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Virginia Tech FSAE

MikeWaggoner at UW
10-15-2003, 11:43 AM
You can also make them out of fiberglass (mold around something, chop in half, lay up over seam), and creme them.

A.Bejcek
10-26-2003, 10:07 AM
I think most production plastic tanks are blow molded. HDPE should be okay... you might want to test it a little if the tank is located near any heat sources.

Actually, if you are using any new materials in the tank (particularly plastics) be VERY careful in choosing materials that are compatible with gasoline. Never underestimate gasoline's ability to destroy things.