PDA

View Full Version : New Williams F1 Nose Cone

Eddie Martin
01-06-2004, 03:18 PM
The new Williams nose cone is really different.
http://www.f1racing.net/photo/upload2/MCecaJMHNTEjb.jpg

I wonder if it can take on the McLaren's (eg the one with out coulthard in it) and Ferrari's (eg the one with Schmacher in it). http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Regards
Eddie

Go Mark Webber

vinHonda
01-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Man.....they stole our front end design for this year! Jokes.

That nose is supposed to work well according to Patrick Head. I dunno.

Go Takuma Sato

Vinh

University of Toronto Formula SAE Racing Team
www.fsae.utoronto.ca (http://www.fsae.utoronto.ca)

Al
01-06-2004, 07:27 PM
It looks to me like one of those design changes that other teams are going to look at and say, "why didn't we think of that"!

The quality of airflow over the front wing looks like it would be much improved compared to what most other teams do. And since the current cars are generally front end downforce limited, it could just push them a step ahead.

I second that Mark Webber quote! Hope he gets the Williams drive for 05.

Nicki
01-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Woa... very different, but nice... I think

I totally agree that it is possibly going to end up as a 'why didn't we think of that' but then again, has anyone seen the rest of the 04 field's cars?????

I can't believe how much has changed over the past few years. I mean it's all new technology and everything but for poor little old me trying to keep up with it - it's been a nightmare!! I used the know specs for the whole f1 circus off-by-heart and it's just gone down the drain...

Maybe the fact that my brain's now full up with FSAE stuff might possibly have something to do with it...

PatClarke
01-08-2004, 03:38 AM
Why does the old Beatles song "I am the Walrus" (Ooopoopadoo) go through my mind when I see this car?
PDR

The older I get, the faster I was.

Big Bird
01-08-2004, 03:44 AM
Geez, they just keep getting uglier. Bring back 1968!

Cheers,

Geoff Pearson
RMIT FSAE 2003

Design it. Build it. Write it off two weeks before the event.

roadrunner
01-17-2004, 10:19 AM
Patrick Head says its ok, then its ok.

Ive been at williams recently and i havent been able to catch a good look at this yet, have been keeping my eyes peeled though.

It may be ugly but youve got to say its probably fast. I like it, very aggressive looking, like montoya really!!!!!

Theyve got to start being radical anyway. The new narrow cars arent new anymore and its time to push the boundaries. The new mclaren for example, where is the engine?!?!?!?!?!

Rob

PS- the best looking formula one car ever was run in the 1978 season by Ferrari and driven by Gilles Villeneuve. The best F1 car ever with the best F1 driver (in my opinion)!!!

Word to ya moms but i came to drop bombs!!!!!

V2 - Italy
01-17-2004, 10:33 AM
That was the fabulous
FERRARI F312 T4
designed by Mauro Forghieri

http://home.hixnet.co.za/adnams/images/1979%20ferrari%20312%20t4.jpg

Daniele

Firenze Race Team V2
http://www.firenzerace.too.it
DUCATI POWER at the UniversitÃ* di Firenze

inamo
01-18-2004, 04:07 AM
Yep, it sure is radical - but I have heard that the FIA haven't approved their frontal crash results yet - since they included the "tusks" in their crash structure - technically they're the wing mounts...... Be interesting to see how that pans out.....

[This message was edited by inamo on January 18, 2004 at 07:45 AM.]

vinHonda
01-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Looking at the Toyota, Sauber and Jaguar launches....it looks like the other teams have adopted small aero changes to their 2004 cars. So far, only Williams and McLaren have vastly different 04 cars. BAR's Geoff Willis says his new car will be different....and then of course there is Ferrari.

Any thoughts/predictions on the new season?

Vinh

Eddie Martin
01-19-2004, 02:45 AM
I think it will be a year long battle between ferrari, mclaren and williams.
I think renault will be let down by their engine again.
Bar will be stronger with a better chassis and better tyres.
Jaguar will be go a bit better and improve constantly, Mark Webber will get on the podium at least once.
Toyota will continue to through buckets of cash at their car and will move up the grid a bit.
Sauber may or may not go better, depends how there bridgestones work.
Jordan and Minardi will continue to make up the numbers, probably with a couple of wealthy drivers.

I really hope that the teams who looked outside the box a bit succeed and that the young drivers like rakk, alonso, webber and montoya are at the front. Even though M Schmacher is damn good i'd like to see someelse win the championship.

vinHonda
01-19-2004, 07:54 AM
My thoughts are that indeed, Ferrari, Williams and Mclaren will all have a close battle. Those 6 cars and drivers will regularly take the top spots. Except for maybe DC...

When one or two or three of those 6 guys have an off day, or blow up, or crash into eachother.....the next team and drivers to get regular spotlights are BAR w/ Jenson and Takuma. I predict Geoff Willis' new car will be fast. The whole team is now gelled well w/ JV gone...all the people on the team, Brits and Honda ppl together, will be workn' hard for both of their young charges to do well. The extra $25million will help too!

Renault will slip behind BAR because of a massive blow to the personnel (Gascoyne and aero guy gone to Toyota and Ferrari respectively), new engine development (2 years behind normal 90degree developments). BUT their drivers are phenomenal. So they won't fall so far back as Jaguar.

Toyota I think will be up next. Still having brilliant-light fuel qualifying charges, but in the race....fall'n behind even Sauber at times. Mike Gascoyne will improve that car massively towards the end of the season.

Jaguar has a great driver in Webber. And an up-and-coming with Klien. But they have, quite frankly, a slow car. Bad aero, mediocre engine power, and most of all...horrible management. If David Pitchforth can create some stability in that team.....then we'll see Webber maybe crack the top guys.

Sauber should have some great races for 1) Fisichella is the most under rated racer in that paddock. 2) That new wind tunnel should eventually develop that car into something strong. But Sauber contends with Bridgestone rubber....and there will be another year where Tyres make the difference.

Jordan and Minardi....... may someday they find the budgets they deserve.

Vinh

RiNaZ
01-19-2004, 07:48 PM
I wont count out DC just yet. I think he's gonna be superb this year that all the team are wanting to get their hands on him come 2005 season.

RiNaZ

Shazzman
01-20-2004, 04:56 AM
Well as im learnin with every motorsport minute that goes by, a driver's head has to be right and im hoping Juan's finally got his in the right place to go with all that agression and talent.
BMW have allways made fantastic engines, so my money is with the boys in white n blue. Micheal probably drove one of his worst races (suzuka 03) to finish last season.
As far as kimmi goes, he is gona be quick but can he do it when it matters?? http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Shiraz.

roadrunner
01-21-2004, 11:57 AM
DC, superb? not two words i`d put in the same sentence, but your american and you guys only race in circles!!! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Whose gonna want him anyway. Ferrari, don`t think so, williams, slim to none, renault, got one of the hottest young driver pairings. So sauber or jordan or minardi may be lucky enough to grab him!!!!!!
The one shot qualifying will sort the talented from the weak i think i remember him saying at the beginning of last season.

Sorry, i really dislike the man and feel he is also possibly the inspiration for the williams new nose!!!!!

Got to say my money is on Juan, hard as nails and mean as f**k!!! Only a couple of guys have got the minerals to go wheel to wheel with him.
Kimi will be good as will alonso and Ralf.
Renault the dark horses to watch me thinks.

As for the rest, who cares? Go minardi though, you gotta love that team xxxx

Heres a thought though, will Eddie Jordan retire his team at the end of the season as some press reports have been speculating????

Word to ya moms but i came to drop bombs!!!!!

PatClarke
01-22-2004, 01:42 AM
DC's chances of being a World Champion ended when his Learjet crashed in France killing the pilots. Thats when DC realised his mortality (Or as I am wont to say, he lost the 'Fighter pilot mentality').
Since then he has just been along for the ride (Or the 'rides' if rumours of his sexual escapades are to be believed)
PDR

I thought I made an error once, but I was mistaken

Mike131313
02-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Hey roadrunner, as an engineer you should know not to storeotype. Yes it is true that american racing involves a lot of circles, which I personally do get tired of, put still we do love our road racing. Road America is the best American road course out there. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Anyway, my predictions here goes.

Ferrari will once again be the ones to beat, however if MS has a terrible start and Rubens doesn't. watch for him to be near the top at that team (this would be my wish if all was fair, MS has gotten a little to arrogant for my taste, but he is still an awesome racer). oh yeah the bridgestones could be their downfall.

Next will be Mclaren. Look for them to come strong with both DC and Kimi. And for you again roadrunner, DC can still drive when given proper equipement, and being that he is only going to be racing for a few more years look for him to pursue MS with vigor. He wants it and he can get it (this is known as optimism, the glass is half full http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif).

Next will be Williams, Montoya over Ralf. as much as I hated him in the past the man can drive and he will be a champ. (note: "hated" I have since begun to like the guy, hey he can drive)

In 4th again will be Renault. Led by Alonso, he is good and he is F1's future. Now Trulli, on the other hand, might be ousted by a lesser team such as BAR. Oh yeah watch out for teething problems with the new motor and lack of downforce as a result of the new Aero guy, hey Gascoyne is gone and is good at what he does.

On renault's heel's are going to be BAR. With JV gone that place is raining green($). Already in testing the car appears to be fast and while it is beating the top teams at Barcelona I don't think it will tranfer to more than a podium for Jenson Button (always been a favorite of mine). Plus you don't think the top teams are gonna show their hand before Australia, do you? Also the new tires are going to be HUGE for this team.

Now here comes Toyota, not sure it this is the right spot for them but with deep pockets, Gascoyne in the tunnel, and have way decent drivers we should see quite a bit of improvement from these guys.

Next is Sauber, hey they have last years Ferrari but they still run Bridgestones. I think this is going to kill them but hopefully fisi can still do well, he's still very under rated.

Next comes Mark Webber, I mean Jaguar. I mean seriously the only good thing this team has is Mark Webber. The attempt that Ford and Jaguar has put forth with this team is mediocre at best and I am not sure why, besides the lousy management, the half A** attempt at an Aerodynamic overhaul, and lack of power output, oh wait never mind I know why.

back here is Jordan ahead of Minardi.
I wish Jordan and Minardi the best of luck and I hope that they have a magnificent season but hey we all know it would take a miracle to beat the big boys. but as we all saw last year miracles can happen.

Note that these are based mostly on stats and performance but some predictions involve my hopes and opinions so don't just rip me a new one

vinHonda
02-03-2004, 07:53 PM
I'd put Renault behind BAR.

Renault lost Gascoyne to Toyota and their head aero guy to Ferrari. They're going to an all new motor that they havent developed/worked on for over 3 seasons. These things alone will make them have a slower car then last year.

Yes. I agree Trulli and Alonso are top notch drivers......I'd even say the best driver pairing in F1.

But:

BAR has shown ridiculous speed with their new car (and not to please sponsors). The team is gelled now with every team member respecting their drivers' wages. Honda have the same guys as their old F1 programme now and have put on tonnes of miles on their new engine since Dec. And lastly, those Michelins work WELL with the new car!

GO SATO!

Vinh

Didier Beaudoin
02-04-2004, 05:33 AM
Ireally believe the BAR track records are made up someway. Take Sato's 1:13.7 lap yesterday, for example. This lap was the only one he made under 1:15 in the whole day. It smells the marketing pretty bad. I think they ran with very low fuel and removed sme ballast i order to go that fast.

Didier Beaudoin
Team Leader -
École Nationale d'Aérotechnique

vinHonda
02-04-2004, 08:32 PM
My sources agree that they ran low fuel. But there was no ballast removed. Remember a few things: 1) the track is different then the one in 2002 2) They have MICHELINS now!

It was to gauge the performance of the car between the 005 and the 006.

Vinh