PDA

View Full Version : Gas cylinder foward of Main Roll Hoop?

workhorse
04-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know the definition for cockpit as set forth by the FSAE rules? Is it classified as from the main roll hoop to the front roll hoop, or forward of the firewall? Thanks

Jimmy

workhorse
04-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know the definition for cockpit as set forth by the FSAE rules? Is it classified as from the main roll hoop to the front roll hoop, or forward of the firewall? Thanks

Jimmy

Drew Price
04-02-2009, 01:15 PM
This sounds like an official rules comittee query to me.

Without more information on your proposed mounting, I would say behind the firewall should be OK, but on the outside surface of the frame alongside the driver with bodywork or another scatter shield around it should also be OK, you will want to check the official forum FAQ's and see what there is about this.

Best,
Drew

moose
04-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Probably means in front of the firewall - but if you're planning on putting the gas tank under the seat thats surely not a smart idea. Next to it but inside of the side-tubes would seemingly be ok, but email the rules committee unless its defined better somewhere in the rules.

I can say I've seen tanks that cross the plane of the roll hoop tucked in between the seat and exhaust.. but that causes other problems, like cooking gas, which need to be dealt with.

Michael Palaszynski
04-03-2009, 06:50 AM
Placing the gas tank under the seat, bad idea? How so? We've been doing it that way for years. It centralizes a changing mass volume. This helps to minimize changes in corner weights as the tank runs low.

I think he's talking about a pressurized cylinder, yes?

I'm assuming this is for shifting...I would say they would allow it as long as there were a scatter shield to protect the driver in the event of a failure.

but don't go on my interpretation, ask the rules committee.

workhorse
04-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Funny you mention that - our gas tank is directly behind the seat back and in the center for those exact reasons, but yes I was refering to a CO2 tank for pneumatic shifting. My thoughts were the same Mike, but I am contacting the rules commitee for clarification. Ill be sure to post the result here. Thanks

moose
04-03-2009, 01:24 PM
As long as there is adequate protection, then its not horrible, but having it so low there is always the chance you hit a pothole or something random if you don't test on the flattest/cleanest ground. Running a thin carbon or aluminum tank, you're taking risks.

If its also super flat, then you've got a fair amount of baffling to take care of as well to prevent sloshing but thats not such a big deal.