PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Questions

D.B.
01-23-2004, 06:41 AM
I have done a couple searches and couldn't find an answer to what Im looking for. Does anyone care to talk about how they have lubricated (ie. let gravity work or run external pumps) the Garrett turbo?

Also, can anyone address how the reliably and tuneably actuate the wastegate on the GT12 turbo from Garrett?

Thanks for any info and if its already posted, point me in the direction, cause Im new here and still learning the ropes. Thanks all.

D.B.
01-23-2004, 06:41 AM
I have done a couple searches and couldn't find an answer to what Im looking for. Does anyone care to talk about how they have lubricated (ie. let gravity work or run external pumps) the Garrett turbo?

Also, can anyone address how the reliably and tuneably actuate the wastegate on the GT12 turbo from Garrett?

Thanks for any info and if its already posted, point me in the direction, cause Im new here and still learning the ropes. Thanks all.

Ryan Schoffer
01-23-2004, 07:53 PM
we were thinking of drawing oil feed off the main gallery pressure testing bolt, and letting it drain back to the oil pan - if you put the turbo real low you will need to run a scavenge pump

ideally, you would use an electronic wastegate controller, but you can use a manual controller and manifold pressure to actuate the wastgate

up to you

maximum boost by corky bell would be a good read if you want to learn the ins and outs

Vehicle electronics leader

www.ucalgary.ca/fsae (http://www.ucalgary.ca/fsae)

D.B.
01-24-2004, 06:58 AM
Ryan, awesome, thats what I was looking for, basically exactly what I was thinking...I have a great book on turboing motorcycles specifically...but it didn't go into great detail about wastegate actuation. Thansk for the info, and anyone else who cares to comment on this, thank you...

Adam B
01-24-2004, 01:24 PM
I was just curious if you guys have heard anything about self contained turbochargers. They have their own oil supply and such. One of the more prominent makers is Aerocharger.

D.B.
01-24-2004, 01:54 PM
I have, and looked into them, but I couldn't find one that our CFM fit anywhere to the left of the surge line...

James Waltman
01-24-2004, 01:59 PM
We are setting up the GT12 right now. We have decided to let gravity drain the oil back and have been very careful to make it a straight shot. We have at least 0.500" I.D. all the way back down - per Garrett's instructions of 12mm minimum (0.500" = 12.7mm). We are supplying oil from the oil pressure bung on the block.

Does anyone have any information about the Carbon Seals for the Garretts? They have been mentioned a few times but I don't know what they are.

The book that Ryan mentined is very good.
Other useful books
Forced Induction Performance Tuning by A. Graham Bell
Haynes Publishing ISBN 1 85960 691 1
Also covers superchargers and Nitrous Oxide

Turbochargers by Hugh MacInnes
HP Books ISBN 0-89586-135-6
Has some good stuff about compressor maps. Not nearly as good as the two others that have been listed here unless:
-You are interested in Tractor pulling
-You think you might run carburetors (the book is from 1984)

You can use the search feature to check out some of the other times that this topic has come up.
Most recently (http://fsae.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=763607348&f=125607348&m=1666083925&r=1866085035#1866085035)

James Waltman
http://dot.etec.wwu.edu/fsae/
Vehicle Research Institute at
Western Washington University

D.B.
01-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the info on publications, and for the info on your lubrication setup. I had read the recent posts (thanks for posting the link though, I actually picked up some info I missed before). I have been using Motorcycle Turbocharging, Supercharging, and Nitrous Oxide by Joe Haile (Whitehorse Press). I think Im going to look into the Bell book, sounds like my next step. Thanks for the info...

93 VR4
01-24-2004, 06:59 PM
what injectors you guys using?

Ryan Schoffer
01-24-2004, 09:37 PM
the stock injectors should work fine - i tested them with the HKS injector pulse meter and found them to be only at about 80% duty level on a stock f4i with stock mapping, and we lean it way out with the restrictor, so there is lots of leeway

it would be cheaper to use a higher pressure fuel pump than larger injectors, anyways

Vehicle electronics leader

www.ucalgary.ca/fsae (http://www.ucalgary.ca/fsae)

93 VR4
01-24-2004, 09:48 PM
what size is stock on that engine...thats not the engine we are using anymore...im gonna need one large injector

D.B.
01-25-2004, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure the stock size, let me look into that real quick and get back to you. We are running stock injectors because even when we tuned the map really well, the max duty cycle was only about 75-80%, which is normal for racing.