PDA

View Full Version : Torsional Rigidity with ANSYS

Cokes
03-08-2004, 04:33 AM
Hi all,

I have modelled the team chassis using ANSYS 6.0, meshed it and applied loads. However, how can I calculate the torsional rigidity?

Cheers,

Cokes.

Cokes
03-08-2004, 04:33 AM
Hi all,

I have modelled the team chassis using ANSYS 6.0, meshed it and applied loads. However, how can I calculate the torsional rigidity?

Cheers,

Cokes.

dancin stu
03-08-2004, 04:52 AM
How have you constarined the chassis. In the past, the method I have used, this is for road cars not racecars, is to constrain the cahssis at three damper mounts, using a different number of constarints on each, then applied the force at the fourth mount.

Solving, you will thus get a deflection form a known force, and you also know the distnace over which that force is aplied, distance between the mounts, so you now have enough information to work out the torsional stiffness..........

Oli
03-08-2004, 03:53 PM
I am also using ANSYS, but for the analysis of suspension components, in particular the A-arms. Has anybody had success in this area and if so, how did they go about it?
http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kevin Hall
03-08-2004, 08:29 PM
I modelled our entire chassis in ANSYS 7.0 for senior design. For any tubular members I used beam4 elements, and for composite panels, I used shell91 elements. We tested and got results within 13% max difference. If you have any questions, email me at k_n_h_2_0_8@mail.usask.ca......remove the underscores. I can send snippets of code if you like.

Kevin Hall
University of Saskatchewan
'03-'04 Team Director