PDA

View Full Version : Internal vs. External Fuel pumps

EuroUri
09-21-2003, 09:36 PM
our team has been using the stock Honda F4i internal fuel pump. well, the fuel pump assembly along with the bracket is pretty damn heavy. it feels heavier than the tank itself. is there an external fuel pump that we could use to help reduce the weight? OR is there a light internal fuel pump alternative? thanks guys.

Virginia Tech FSAE
Engine Team: Fuel System
Zylinderkopf VW/Audi Car Club

EuroUri
09-21-2003, 09:36 PM
our team has been using the stock Honda F4i internal fuel pump. well, the fuel pump assembly along with the bracket is pretty damn heavy. it feels heavier than the tank itself. is there an external fuel pump that we could use to help reduce the weight? OR is there a light internal fuel pump alternative? thanks guys.

Virginia Tech FSAE

Igor
09-22-2003, 12:36 AM
I would recommend against an internal fuel pump. You will have to disassemble your tank if you encounter any problems.
I have spent an entire night performing laparoscopic surgery on our tank to fix internal problems.

Igor
Delft University

Colin
09-22-2003, 05:19 AM
The problem we've had with running external fuel pumps is that due to the rules about braded lines with threaded fittings on any pressurised lines you are limited to fuel pumps with threaded fittings. Most small light weight pumps we've found just have barbed plastic outlets.

Full Boar Racing

EuroUri
09-22-2003, 07:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Igor:
I would recommend against an internal fuel pump. You will have to disassemble your tank if you encounter any problems.
I have spent an entire night performing laparoscopic surgery on our tank to fix internal problems.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Igor, I know what you mean when you say that maintenance on an internal fuel pump is difficult. That's another reason why I want to switch to an external one. What set up is your team using now? Have you found an external pump with threaded fittings to comply with the rules?

thanks for your replies.

Virginia Tech FSAE

EuroUri
09-22-2003, 08:00 AM
i found that Walbro makes an in-line fuel pump that accomodates threaded fittings. it's about $140 which is $210 less than the stock F4i fuel pump which is nice. has anyone used this pump?

Virginia Tech FSAE

Igor
09-22-2003, 08:06 AM
The internal pump was on last years car, we don't have anything new yet. It's sad that barbed fittings seem to be fine for all OEMs but not for us. I guess it's hard to judge the quality of a crimped connection.
Of course I would never suggest sliding something that looks like a threaded connector over a crimped connection :-)

Igor

formula_geek
09-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Walbro also makes a very lightweight in-tank pump/regulator unit. While the regulator is not adjustable, regulators of varying pressure levels are available.

I believe the unit we used is OE on the Buell Blast or Lightning.

Travis Slagle
Kettering University FSAE

EliseS2
09-22-2003, 02:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by formula_geek:
Walbro also makes a very lightweight in-tank pump/regulator unit. While the regulator is not adjustable, regulators of varying pressure levels are available.

I believe the unit we used is OE on the Buell Blast or Lightning.

Travis Slagle
Kettering University FSAE<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We used that unit. We had some initial problems because our regulators were prototype units that were rated at 20psi. But, we were able to replace the whole pump assembly in under 30 minutes. This unit is very light. Also we have some connections at Buell so getting the parts is not a problem at all. The unit also comes with a nice filter that will allow fuel in, but not let the fuel out easily, so our tank did not need a much off a baffle system to keep fuel by the pump.