PDA

View Full Version : Push or Pull , Over or Above?

jcairnie
01-19-2003, 09:29 PM
I am curious as to how many people are running a push setup or a pull setup for the shock absorbers? Do you have it located above or below the drivers legs? What is the reason for your descision

"Motorsports is a sickness and the only way to get rid of it is to die!" -Ken Tyrrell

jcairnie
01-19-2003, 09:29 PM
I am curious as to how many people are running a push setup or a pull setup for the shock absorbers? Do you have it located above or below the drivers legs? What is the reason for your descision

"Motorsports is a sickness and the only way to get rid of it is to die!" -Ken Tyrrell

Bob Wright
01-19-2003, 10:40 PM
We go with pulrods at the front because it gives a much cleaner load path. FSAE is unusual in that the driver sits so far foward over the front hubline. To get pushrods working with that the bellcrank mounts have to be right up in the air, away from the main chassis members and pushing in a plane that is difficult to triangulate ( through the open section under the dash) It is easier to get a rising rate with pushrods though because the lower wishbone and the pushrod angle increases with upward movement (effective radius increases from lower inboard wishbone axis), where pullrods go the other way. But you can get what you want with pullrods if your carefull.

Bob Wright
Monash University
Australia

ben
01-20-2003, 02:09 AM
Our past three cars haved pulled at the front at pushed at the rear so to speak.

I'm continuing with that this year. The advantage to pullrods at the front has already been pointed out - big gap under the driver's knees and a nice in-plane load path. The only thing I don't like about this layout is the ARB arrangement - but we manage.

We push at the rear because the shocks fit nicely mounted vertically either side of the diff box and our load transfer device would be impossible to package with a pullrod setup.

As for installation ratios, we aim for linear 1:1 and are pretty close.

Ben
UBRacing.co.uk