PDA

View Full Version : Max ignition timing

R Mac
10-09-2003, 10:58 AM
This is kinda a very general question, but I am new to tuning sport bike engines, and looking to see what kind of ignition timing other teams are running out there. What I am mainly looking to see would be what timing do you guys seem to be idleing at, and what is the max advance timing your run. Thanks.

R Mac
10-09-2003, 10:58 AM
This is kinda a very general question, but I am new to tuning sport bike engines, and looking to see what kind of ignition timing other teams are running out there. What I am mainly looking to see would be what timing do you guys seem to be idleing at, and what is the max advance timing your run. Thanks.

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
10-09-2003, 09:19 PM
Hi Ryan,

Ignition timing depends on the engine. Based on my experience, Hondas don't see too much improvent from about 8k on with more than 45 degrees. Suzukis seem to like a little more than that. As far as at idle, try 10-12 degrees to start.

Give me a call offline if you need anymore help.

Brian Lewis
Performance Electronics, Ltd.
www.pe-ltd.com (http://www.pe-ltd.com)
"Complete Engine Management Systems"

Chris Boyden
10-13-2003, 12:57 PM
the 99' R6 likes 55 degrees BTDC which is all in by 5200 rpm. I initially had no more than 40 btdc, but then I found this spec in the Yamaha manual. We used similar numbers to what Brian mentioned for the idle.

But these numbers are for the stock "unrestricted" engine.

[This message was edited by Boyden on October 13, 2003 at 04:20 PM.]

Chris Boyden
10-13-2003, 01:16 PM
This is a good thing to consider when pairing engines and computers. I walked into the program last year, and the computer and engine had already been selected. We ran an R6 which really likes alot of timing. Luckily, The TEC3 was able to provide up to 60 degrees of advance, which worked with the R6. Some of the other ECU's might not be able to provide that much advance without rotating the trigger wheel which adds to the total advance.
The trigger wheel has it's own problems with the electromotive system, as it is very difficult to implement correctly. Almost every team that I talked to complained about the electromotive TEC3/TEC2 trigger wheel system.
The PE-ECU-1 trigger wheel from Performance Electronics really makes the trigger wheel a simple and easy installation for Honda applications, which saved me hours and hours and hours of design and machine time. And they use the stock Honda pickup sensor, which saves money and time. The "sensitive" pickup sensor on the TEC 3 really drove me nuts.

Just make sure that the computer can be programmed to advance the timing sufficiently for the engine you're planning on running with.