PDA

View Full Version : Lubricants

Paul Dansereau
01-28-2003, 04:40 PM
We are thinking about using synthetic oil (Amsoil) but are hesitant due to the danger of fowling the clutch. Has anyone had experience with synthetics that are wet clutch compatible?

Paul Dansereau
01-28-2003, 04:40 PM
We are thinking about using synthetic oil (Amsoil) but are hesitant due to the danger of fowling the clutch. Has anyone had experience with synthetics that are wet clutch compatible?

-Gabriel
01-28-2003, 05:23 PM
Look for bike synthetic oil. We had no problem with it since it is designed for this type of clutch.

Gabriel Denoury
Ecole Polytechnique de Montréal FSAE
www.fsae.polymtl.ca (http://www.fsae.polymtl.ca)

Charlie
01-28-2003, 06:35 PM
Mobil 1 makes a 10W40 oil just for sportbikes.

-Charlie Ping
Auburn University FSAE 1999-present

U of S Engine
01-28-2003, 08:28 PM
DO NOT use automotove synthetic. Clutches slip and burn FAST. If you can't get ahold of some that says motorcycle spec on the jug, don't!!

U of Sask

Paul Dansereau
01-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Has anyone had any experience with Amsoil synthetic products, specifically?

Dominic Venieri
01-30-2003, 08:52 AM
Has anyone had any experience with the Amsoil sponsorship/fund raising package? I know Ohio State has been involved with that. How has that worked our for you guys?

www.formularpi.com (http://www.formularpi.com)

James Waltman
01-30-2003, 10:54 AM
I'm also interested in what teams think about the fundraising/sponsorship deal from Amsoil. They sent me an email about it a while ago offering it and I asked for some more info about it. They sent me a reply but really vagued up the details. I basically got no info other than they could help and Amsoil is the best oil ever. It smelled a bit like a scam but maybe I am wrong.

Quote from the reply: "This fund raiser will truly benefit the FSAE Team if you all work it"

It sounds like they want to pimp us. I don't have much trouble selling my soul for a sponsorship deal. I just want to know what I would be getting into.

James Waltman
waltmaj@cc.wwu.edu
http://dot.etec.wwu.edu/fsae/
Formula SAE
Vehicle Research Institute at
Western Washington University

gtmsracer
01-30-2003, 02:26 PM
We've run Mobil 1 10W-30 for years and never have had any problems with them.

Shamus Yandle
Georgia Tech Motorsports 1998-Present
2001/2002 Formula Student Champions
2002 Formula SAE - 3rd place

Charlie
01-30-2003, 04:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James Waltman:
I'm also interested in what teams think about the fundraising/sponsorship deal from Amsoil. They sent me an email about it a while ago offering it and I asked for some more info about it. They sent me a reply but really vagued up the details. I basically got no info other than they could help and Amsoil is the best oil ever. It smelled a bit like a scam but maybe I am wrong.

Quote from the reply: "This fund raiser will truly benefit the FSAE Team if you all work it"

It sounds like they want to pimp us. I don't have much trouble selling my soul for a sponsorship deal. I just want to know what I would be getting into.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got the same email! They must have sent it to all the FSAE teams. I sent them a nice sponsor packet and materials, have never heard anything back. I agree, it sounds like they are wanting us to sell & market thier products and they give us money that way. But the emails were always very vague.

If the individual who sent those emails is really preying on our need for sponsor $$$ for thier own benefit they should be ashamed.

-Charlie Ping
Auburn University FSAE 1999-present