PDA

View Full Version : Brakes?

JBram
09-26-2002, 01:19 PM
I'm working on our car's brakes this year, so I'm kind of wondering what type/size of brakes you guys are using. Our car last year had big heavy Wilwood calipers and rotors; I'm trying to save a lot of weight. Also, is there a formula or something I can use to determine what diameter and thickness of rotors I need, given my car's weight, stopping frequency, etc.? Any input would be fantastic. Thanks.

...jbram

JBram
09-26-2002, 01:19 PM
I'm working on our car's brakes this year, so I'm kind of wondering what type/size of brakes you guys are using. Our car last year had big heavy Wilwood calipers and rotors; I'm trying to save a lot of weight. Also, is there a formula or something I can use to determine what diameter and thickness of rotors I need, given my car's weight, stopping frequency, etc.? Any input would be fantastic. Thanks.

...jbram

steve
09-27-2002, 03:21 AM
Two ways that are commonly used to reduce the weight of the brakes are:
Use bits off of a crashed motorbike
Make your own discs(rotors) and calipers

I read in article in RACETECH maazine in which Ian Pashley was designing and building a motorbike engined single seat racing car, and had been planning to use motorbike calipers, but he was concerned whether they could take the pressure apllied to them by a foot instead of a hand as used to operate the brakes on a bike

Before deciding to make your own components, be sure you have the resources to do so. Also, a neat idea when custom making calipers is to incorporate one half of the caliper into the front upright, as Birmingham (UK) did last year.

JBram
10-15-2002, 12:04 PM
For you guys that make your own brake rotors, what material have you been using? It occurred to me to use plate steel, but Carroll Smith said that is a good way to end up with warped rotors.

...jbram

adam a lemay
10-16-2002, 03:24 PM
we have made your own brakes for 5 years and i would suggest not doing it unless you have the resources and time to make many mistakes, go wilwood and make your own pedals. i would also like to know how to properly size brakes.

Ajay
02-27-2006, 12:06 AM
y is advisable to use drum brakes for rear wheels y not disc ------is it only the economical factor ...... hw much efficient is disk brakes over drum brakes

Ajay
02-27-2006, 12:07 AM
what kinda problems can crop up for using bike's braking system for formula cars ......

terra_dactile
03-03-2006, 09:00 AM
Ajay,
check your other post with the same question.
Ben and i have already answered your question,

Jude Berthault
ETS FSAE 2003-Current
Steering and Brake System Leader