PDA

View Full Version : Brake&Accelerator Stopper

Dong-Sung Seo
01-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Hi yo guys.
Just wondering if anyone has any tips about the engine stpopper with the pedals.
As I know there must be stopper with the pedals.
But unfortunately I couldn't see any stopper in the pictures which my friend took in the Formula Student Competition.
I want to know many ways of the putting stopper in front of the pedals.
Could you let me know how did you put the stopper with the pedals or the way of taking the stopper with the pedals,as many as possible.

Dong-Sung Seo
01-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Hi yo guys.
Just wondering if anyone has any tips about the engine stpopper with the pedals.
As I know there must be stopper with the pedals.
But unfortunately I couldn't see any stopper in the pictures which my friend took in the Formula Student Competition.
I want to know many ways of the putting stopper in front of the pedals.
Could you let me know how did you put the stopper with the pedals or the way of taking the stopper with the pedals,as many as possible.

Denny Trimble
01-26-2004, 10:26 PM
We put a simple electric switch behind the bias bar. It's located far enough away that during normal braking, the switch is not touched. But, if the hydraulic system were to fail, the pedal would travel farther and flip the ignition kill switch.

Hope that helps.

University of Washington Formula SAE ('98, '99, '03, '04)

Dong-Sung Seo
01-27-2004, 12:22 AM
Thank you for your answer.
I thought like you but I thought it's not enough to satisfy judge.
Were there no problems with that switch?
Thank you~

PatClarke
01-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Hi DS,
It is easier to understand when you know why the rule is in place.
If your car has a brake failure and the brake pedal goes to the floor, the rules require that there is a switch in place that will stop the engine. This can be any sort of switch (Except a hydraulic switch, of course). I am sure if you ask, many teams will send you a picture of how their switch is mounted.
The switch must turn off positively and can not be reset by the driver.
I will give you a special warning. You need to be very careful when you set the switch that the driver does not operate the switch if he panics and presses the brake very hard. The switch should only work if the hydraulic pressure is lost and the pedal goes down all the way.
Good luck
PDR

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

Dong-Sung Seo
01-27-2004, 12:52 AM
http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Thak you for your answer.
I know why it has to be there.
But I would like to know the kind of switch which you guys recommend and the ways of the mount of the switch.
If you guys have the picture of it, could you send it to me?
The following is my e-mail address:
eelun@hanmail.net