PDA

View Full Version : Designing Wheels

Superfumi
02-09-2003, 05:13 PM
I am interested in teams who have had success desiging there own wheels. If you have done this, could you please give a quick run down on the design. I know monash did this using machined 6061 Ally or something. Anyone cast their own wheels? what sort of weights are we talking?

Cheers

Superfumi
02-09-2003, 05:13 PM
I am interested in teams who have had success desiging there own wheels. If you have done this, could you please give a quick run down on the design. I know monash did this using machined 6061 Ally or something. Anyone cast their own wheels? what sort of weights are we talking?

Cheers

ben
02-10-2003, 04:43 AM
One of the students here at Birmingham designed a cast mag wheel a few years back and they finally got made last year (Thanks to Aeromet and MG Rover :-) ).

They tip the scales at 2.1Kg each.

Ben

Frank
02-10-2003, 07:11 AM
aussies,

i'm looking for your opinion about "circle track wheels"

(ie the aussie ones NOT the US ones)

fumi, i've asked for a quote already

Wizard
02-10-2003, 07:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ben:
One of the students here at Birmingham designed a cast mag wheel a few years back and they finally got made last year (Thanks to Aeromet and MG Rover :-) ).

They tip the scales at 2.1Kg each.

Ben<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any Pics???

Joe Miner
02-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Here are some pics of our past two wheel designs. We design and machine the centers and use commercial rim halves.

http://www.umr.edu/~formula/library/image_archive/2002-24/Corners/sidebyside.jpg

Nam Tran
02-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Where can you get the commercially available rim halves?