PDA

View Full Version : can we used kers in your races for gaining speed ? if not can we use it ???

neon spark
12-14-2009, 12:32 AM
did you used kers in your races for gaining speed ? if not can we use it ??? tell me anyone whethr it canbe used or not ...

aniket
team iit madras

neon spark
12-14-2009, 12:35 AM
so can wu use any regenerative energy source ???????? help plz clear my problm

Luniz
12-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Read the Rules!!!

BamaJeff
12-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Luniz has no idea what he is talking about.

YES you can use KERS. It's awesome...you should do it!

;-)

neon spark
12-14-2009, 10:35 PM
but in the rules book this is not specified !!!! plz help me ...bamajeff did you used this in your car ... i mean in fsae..??? if yess do reply me ...

t21jj
12-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by neon spark:
but in the rules book this is not specified !!!! plz help me ...bamajeff did you used this in your car ... i mean in fsae..??? if yess do reply me ...

http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
You really should reread the rules, your answer is in there. If you are still confused you should submit a question to the rules committee this forum is not an official source of rules information. Demanding an answer will most likely result in unreliable sarcastic responses designed to make you even more confused http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

TorqueWrench
12-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Maybe its the eight hours of applied mathematics I have been studying, or it could be the four hours of fluids, but I am in a giving mood tonight. Straight out of the rule book under powertrain:

B8.1.4 Hybrid powertrains utilizing on-board energy storage are not allowed.

KERS is a hybrid system, so it is not allowed by the rules.

neon spark
12-14-2009, 11:21 PM
do you thre are 2 forms of kers
one that is used in f1 that provide a boost of 6-7 sec

another one is common that provide a boost of 3-4 sec ... dude kers is hybrid but .. lets say if i do not use kers but somthng that store energy and give it whn needed...this design is much diffenrt frm kers ...of f1 cars ..ok

t21jj
12-14-2009, 11:32 PM
do you thre are 2 forms of kers
one that is used in f1 that provide a boost of 6-7 sec

another one is common that provide a boost of 3-4 sec ... dude kers is hybrid but .. lets say if i do not use kers but somthng that store energy and give it whn needed...this design is much diffenrt frm kers ...of f1 cars ..ok
What part of it's not allowed do you not understand??? Like I said if you really don't get it ask the rules committee. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

B8.1.1 The engine(s) used to power the car must be four-stroke piston engine(s) with a displacement not exceeding 610 cc per cycle.
B8.1.2 The engine can be modified within the restrictions of the rules.
B8.1.3 If more than one engine is used, the total displacement cannot exceed 610 cc and the air for all
engines must pass through a single air intake restrictor (see B.8.6, “Intake System Restrictor.”)
B8.1.4 Hybrid powertrains utilizing on-board energy storage are not allowed.

TorqueWrench
12-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Alright man, read the rules. No hybrid powertrains. That means no batteries, no flywheels to give you a burst of speed later, no anything that provides forward acceleration to the vehicle besides the engine and gravity. If you want to do that kinda stuff, go to Formula Hybrid.

neon spark
12-14-2009, 11:35 PM
gave me the rules committee web adress..

t21jj
12-14-2009, 11:36 PM
gave me the rules committee web adress..

No look it up it's in the rules. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

TorqueWrench
12-14-2009, 11:37 PM
The e-mail address is located in the rules. Make sure to cite what rule you have a question about and what school you are from when sending them questions.

EDIT: t21jj beat me to it.

neon spark
12-14-2009, 11:37 PM
okkkk torquewrench .....i got the answer

neon spark
12-14-2009, 11:40 PM
chill t22jj........ so tell me any good ecu for a 600 enegine

t21jj
12-14-2009, 11:42 PM
We are not here to give you the answers.

Use the FIND button that topic has been discussed many many times.

TorqueWrench
12-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Pretty sure this guy is just trolling here to piss people off, but I will bite.

There is a nice little "Find" button at the top of the page. Simply search "ECU" and I am sure lots of topics will come up. There are good and bad things about each one and it is up to you as an engineer to decided which one is the best for your application.

EDIT: Come on t21jj, you wanna not beat me to it every time. Haha.

t21jj
12-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by TorqueWrench:

There is a nice little "Find" button at the top of the page. Simply search "ECU" and I am sure lots of topics will come up. There are good and bad things about each one and it is up to you as an engineer to decided which one is the best for your application.

EDIT: Come on t21jj, you wanna not beat me to it every time. Haha.

I think we posted at the same time. lol

neon spark
12-14-2009, 11:45 PM
dude chill i am participating in fsae .. for the 1st time .. so i have lots of quetions rolling in my mind ... and you guys have allready participated in fsae ... so will gave me suggetions...

TorqueWrench
12-14-2009, 11:48 PM
If it is your first time on these forums, as I am taking it that it is. Please use the search button at the top first. You will find that 99% of things you have questions of have already been discussed on here. Google is also a wonderful resource and most of the information there is perfectly useful for our competition despite the slightly different application. If after trying both of those options, go ahead and post a new question. No one on these forums though will ever give you an answer.

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will never go hungry again.

EDIT: t21jj, pretty sure we did. Haha.

t21jj
12-14-2009, 11:50 PM
If it is your first time on these forums, as I am taking it that it is. Please use the search button at the top first. You will find that 99% of things you have questions of have already been discussed on here. Google is also a wonderful resource and most of the information there is perfectly useful for our competition despite the slightly different application. If after trying both of those options, go ahead and post a new question. No one on these forums though will ever give you an answer.

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will never go hungry again.

EDIT: t21jj, pretty sure we did. Haha.

+1

What good does it do you if we give you all the answers? In the real world nobody will give you all the answers.

neon spark
12-14-2009, 11:52 PM

t21jj mind your words ..!

TorqueWrench
12-14-2009, 11:56 PM
To be honest, I remember when I was first starting out and wished I had all the answers sitting in front of me (that was also when I thought I knew "everything" there was to know about engines, ignorance was bliss). After going through it all, its well worth it despite all the frustration. I have also now seen several years of freshman come through and do the same thing.

Now I accept I know very little compared to what is out there. That is what everyone in FSAE should look forward to! It means you are learning something.

t21jj
12-14-2009, 11:56 PM

t21jj mind your words ..!

I never said that get your quotes right.

t21jj
12-15-2009, 12:05 AM
To be honest, I remember when I was first starting out and wished I had all the answers sitting in front of me (that was also when I thought I knew "everything" there was to know about engines, ignorance was bliss). After going through it all, its well worth it despite all the frustration. I have also now seen several years of freshman come through and do the same thing.

Now I accept I know very little compared to what is out there. That is what everyone in FSAE should look forward to! It means you are learning something.
+1

TorqueWrench
12-15-2009, 12:06 AM
Yeah, that was me. I tend to get a bit cantankerous when I realize all my throttle body CFD runs had Total Temperature set instead of Static Temperature and I am reseting all 10 of them.

t21jj
12-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Yeah, that was me. I tend to get a bit cantankerous when I realize all my throttle body CFD runs had Total Temperature set instead of Static Temperature and I am reseting all 10 of them.

Same here been fighting a 6 year old broken Solidworks assembly that I've been trying to fix for the last 5 hours.

fixitmattman
12-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Dear God, what do people do with the rules when they print them off, use them to prop up the laptop to surf this forum? Do they even print them? Does anybody read anymore?

KERS has been beaten to death. If I were you I would get a used ECU of of '71 Challenger. Double up the fuel injectors 2/cyl on your inline 4 instead of 1/cyl from the V8 and you're golden. You'll get twice the power and twice the fuel economy.

poe21
12-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Define what you want out of your ECU, and how much you are willing to pay for it. Search for products that fit your criteria. BAM!!... ECU

poe21
12-15-2009, 10:06 AM
We use the PE... it's good for young or first year teams. Great service, and easy to use, not overly complex.

Pennyman
12-15-2009, 06:46 PM
If you had the opportunity to copy every homework assignment and plagiarize any paper, how would you ever learn anything?

It's not about being a BAD engineer, its about being a LAZY engineer. I don't know which is worse...

BamaJeff
12-21-2009, 10:08 AM

No we did not use kers on our car. Us dumb rednecks aren't smart enough to figure it out, but I'm sure you can!

These guys are not being honest. You should put kers on your car and bring it to Detroit. You will be the stars of the competition!

Grant Mahler
12-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by BamaJeff:
No we did not use kers on our car. Us dumb rednecks aren't smart enough to figure it out, but I'm sure you can!

For a couple "dumb rednecks", some sweet cars out of 'bama...

TMG24
01-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Its been my experience in FSAE that something like that needs to be developed during the summer months so that come fall it's build time. Sometimes interferences between mechanical components come up that even tho solid modeled they still occur and time is needed to resolve those issues. Rarely is their time to add gadgets like you are talking about and have them work well. Focus on building and testing your car and add KERS after your car runs flawlessly, if the rules committee allows it. Also, is the extra battery weight and components worth the power gain?