PDA

View Full Version : About rules

justin12
07-13-2009, 09:44 PM
I want to know whether its necessary for all the members of a team to be from the same university..? We are a group of friends that want to participate in FSAE but we all are from different universities

justin12
07-13-2009, 09:44 PM
I want to know whether its necessary for all the members of a team to be from the same university..? We are a group of friends that want to participate in FSAE but we all are from different universities

TorqueWrench
07-13-2009, 10:35 PM
No matter what you are told here, you will have to e-mail SAE and get an answer from them as none of us here have the ability to give you an official response.

justin12
07-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Okay.. Thanks a lot!!

Hector
07-14-2009, 04:17 AM
Any way you can post a copy of the letter you get back? This question gets asked a few times a year and I'd like to see a response.

justin12
07-14-2009, 06:29 AM
I'll post it as soon as I get a reply http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

fixitmattman
07-14-2009, 09:42 AM
This question was asked during a Q and A session at the Michigan event this year. They indicated there is no requirement that all team members be from the same school, however the team can only have one name on the car. Be this one school name or the other, or the name of the joint venture. Having two school names on the car would cause too much confusion.

i.e. University of the Internet and Technological School of Engineering would be a bad name, but Internet Tech would be acceptable.

Just to be on the safe side I would double check with the rules committee.

justin12
07-14-2009, 09:58 AM
I just hope they reply soon.. We will think of some team name.. not necessarily including the university names

J.R.
07-14-2009, 12:13 PM
We can pick our own names? I want team awesome! BTW, Chris, told you we could've put TU Buff on the car, and no one would have "officially" cared. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SAE_intl_girl
07-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Hi Justin12,

This is Kaley Zundel from SAE International; I am the program coordinator for the Formula SAE events.

I have not received an email from anyone inquiring your question so I am not sure where you directed your email however because I do read FSAE.com from time to time, I thought I would just respond here (for all to see).

fixitmattman is somewhat correct.

Yes, your team can be made up of individuals from different universities (there is no official requirement stating you must all be from the same university) as long as everyone is a degree seeking full-time student and has a valid SAE student membership.

No, you cannot make up a school name. The way our online registration system works is that teams must register under a single university name, even if the team members attend several schools. The system must recognize the university so the best option would be to have someone with their valid SAE membership register the team under their university name. The team name is where your team can be creative. And yes, J.R. SAE will not make you change your name. It is not that we do or do not care; we just assume teams representing their university will choose their names wisely.

Justin12...The only thing you will need to be aware of is by registering a team compiled on team members from different schools; the process for online registration will be very difficult for everyone not affiliated to that university as they will not be able to get online. All the remaining team members will need to make sure they provide their registration requirements (per the rules along with their proof of SAE membership) prior to the event. Currently the process to that is to use the International Student Registration Form which is a form used to capture the needed information. Your team will also have to pay close attention to deadlines for things like the event program if you wish to be published because I pull all that information from the online submissions. It is extremely important that at least one person with a working email is affiliated online. Many of my communications are through the website and emails.

I hope that helps. If you have any more questions you can contact me directly at kzundel@sae.org

Thanks.

justin12
07-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks a lot.. It has helped a lot

Daksh
07-14-2009, 08:52 PM
I had a similar query and I have written to the FSAE and am waiting for a reply.
Thanks SAE_intl_girl you cleared a lot many things..

Drew Price
07-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Kaley,

You are tempting me to officially resign my status as an alumnus. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Best,
Drew

Daksh
07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
I have sent my email here... collegiatecompetitions@sae.org

Is it the correct place for that?

Haven't got any response.. How long does it normally take to get a response?

MalcolmG
07-16-2009, 01:01 AM
This opens some interesting possibilities, especially if there are 2 universities nearby and one of them doesn't have an FSAE program. There could even be some form of collaboration between two universities if they're unable to fund the program alone

Hector
07-16-2009, 04:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MalcolmG:
This opens some interesting possibilities, especially if there are 2 universities nearby and one of them doesn't have an FSAE program. There could even be some form of collaboration between two universities if they're unable to fund the program alone </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, though a bad side is only having one school name. I'm sure it makes it harder for the unnamed school to get funding/support for the car when it officially belongs to another school.

exFSAE
07-16-2009, 08:54 PM
University of the Internet.. would be hilarious.

Mikey Antonakakis
07-17-2009, 04:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exFSAE:
University of the Internet.. would be hilarious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't "lol" too often on these forums, but that was pretty good.

DustinJones
07-22-2009, 08:56 AM
University of the Internet....Wouldn't that be the University of Phoenix Online?

SAE_intl_girl
07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daksh:
I have sent my email here... collegiatecompetitions@sae.org

Is it the correct place for that?

Haven't got any response.. How long does it normally take to get a response? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Daksh,
I am sorry you have not heard back yet. That is the correct email in which you can reach the SAE staff. Unforunately sometimes our junk mail filter captures honest emails. My guess because I have not seen your email is that your original email sent there.
But just so you know, the collegiatecompetitions email is a good place to start when you are not sure who to contact; however if you have specific questions on FSAE (US events only) feel free to contact directly kzundel@sae.org; except for actual rule inquiries those must be sent to katklauz@aol.com as specified by the rules.

Daksh
08-01-2009, 03:32 AM
Thank you Kaley for your reply.. You have already answered most of my question in this thread. I will mail you if I have further questions http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thrainer
08-03-2009, 01:36 PM
We have team members from at least three different universities. The one mentioned on the car used to support the project in the past.

So, a group of friends from different universities is fine. The only thing you need from school is a faculty advisor.

University of the Internet is an entry in the cost report software.