PDA

View Full Version : PDR's Pics from FSAE-A 2003

Denny Trimble
12-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Here they are! (http://students.washington.edu/dennyt/fsae/pdr-aus03/index.html)

University of Washington Formula SAE ('98, '99, '03, '04)

Denny Trimble
12-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Here they are! (http://students.washington.edu/dennyt/fsae/pdr-aus03/index.html)

University of Washington Formula SAE ('98, '99, '03, '04)

PatClarke
12-16-2003, 06:47 PM
Thanks Danny,
I think that covers all the requests for pix of tech stuff etc at the Aussie event.
The doohickey on the end of the Chalmers exhaust is the same added muffler UOW used to pass the noise test last year...and there for the same reason.
A williwilli is a small tornado that whipped some poor marshalls hat and clipboard into the air. His pen landed in the lap of the Auburn driver lapping at the time.
Chalmers composite wheels were 13", alloy centrelock outer half and a carbon composite inner.
The rear shot of UWA shows why the team had to use outboard brakes, and they did a great job of incorporating brakes, uprights and hubs...hence 'Hubright' in another pic.
The UWA car wouldnt start between Enduro legs. in the second run, the team waited 20 minutes to get the engine going before completing the enduro for no points.
The big wings on Monash certainly seemed to work at Tailem Bend, though the track really suited wings more than the Pontiac course. This team need to concentrate on reliability.
The UQ car had the battery mounted above the rear axle centre section making clear pictures (as requested) difficult, but I am sure Frank will supply a pic if anyone is really interested. They broke a gearbox in acceleration (probably because of errors in quickshift software) and so had an overnight engine change. Steve Daum guaranteed an entry to UQ at the 2005 FSAE event.
Swinburne were second in design (but look at that driveshaft angle !) They were eliminated from the Enduro when it was alleged they had dropped fuel (And truth is, I actually stuck my toe in the puddle!) Tempers ran hot along with the weather.
The US Visitors did well. GT winning and Auburn and RIT finishing well up. RIT broke a driveshaft and I watched them change it in 15 minutes (pix available if anyone wants them)
Wollongong broke their best engine before the event and were plagued with overheating after that. I saw them looking for a thermostat spring to raise the coolant pressure, and shortly afterwards, they blew a hose off =]. They nursed the car to the finish with the coolant pegged at 150 degrees C. Watch out for this car in Detroit where all the bugs will be sorted.
The Red car with the Uniroyal tyres is the Brunswick car from germany. Unfortunately, they only got it running for two laps of the second enduro despite the efforts of MoTeC and UoW guys helping out.
For those interested, the camera is an Olympus C740, 3.2mp with 10X optical lens. By far the best digicam I have owned (of 4) Cost me about Au$750 duty free.
Thanks again Danny, see u in Pontiac.
PDR

Rudeness is a weak mans imitation of strength