PDA

View Full Version : Seat Mount/Template Question

Baz
01-30-2010, 10:17 AM
We are in the process of installing our seat and have a question regarding the cockpit opening template. Per template rules B.4.1, the seat can be removed for this test. However, to mount the seat, we are planning on using lateral mounts that would intrude into the horizontal cockpit template.

So... can we say that these lateral mounts are part of the seat, and when we remove the seat we will just unbolt the seat mounts from the frame (the seat will be removed with the mounts attached)?

Any insight into this would be appreciated - I figured I would ask here first before emailing the rules committee.

Thanks!

Baz
01-30-2010, 10:17 AM
We are in the process of installing our seat and have a question regarding the cockpit opening template. Per template rules B.4.1, the seat can be removed for this test. However, to mount the seat, we are planning on using lateral mounts that would intrude into the horizontal cockpit template.

So... can we say that these lateral mounts are part of the seat, and when we remove the seat we will just unbolt the seat mounts from the frame (the seat will be removed with the mounts attached)?

Any insight into this would be appreciated - I figured I would ask here first before emailing the rules committee.

Thanks!

Dsenechal
01-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Nothing you are going to get here is official, so I really wouldnt base your decision off it. Personally, I would say you could remove the mounts, but you really want to email the rules committee just to be sure

D Collins Jr
01-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Are the "lateral mounts" below the upper side impact rail? If so, then it will not matter because that is below the tested area.

Hector
01-30-2010, 02:11 PM
+1 to Dsenechal

Let us know the response so other teams will have an answer.

Baz
01-30-2010, 05:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Collins Jr:
Are the "lateral mounts" below the upper side impact rail? If so, then it will not matter because that is below the tested area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The lateral mounts would be above the upper side impact rail.

I will email the rules committee and post their reply here.

Thanks!

Scalesy
01-31-2010, 10:44 PM
We welded "lateral mounts" to the frame last year which the seat bolted to. At tech, the template technically didn't fit, but the inspectors said that the intent of the template was fulfilled, and because it was the first year the rule had been around, they'd pass it. We were told specifically however that for this year, the mounts needed to be integral to the seat, i.e., the mounts come out as part as the seat.

I wouldn't bother asking the rules committee...bolt the mounts near the side impact member and remove the seat that way, you will have no problems.

D Collins Jr
02-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Make sure that it's ok to remove the mounts for the test. I don't think that seat mounts are specifically listed in the rules as a removable item for the test.