PDA

View Full Version : Cam follower displacement diag

Anirudh
04-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Hey

Could anyoone tell me how all the teams plot the follower displ. diag to input to ricardo.

I was thinking of rotating the cam on a lathe and using a dial indicator for the displacement at various angles of rotation.

If possible could any one post the diagram that u got. It would be much appreciated

We r using a Honda cbr600 RR

Thanx in advance

Anirudh

Anirudh
04-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Hey

Could anyoone tell me how all the teams plot the follower displ. diag to input to ricardo.

I was thinking of rotating the cam on a lathe and using a dial indicator for the displacement at various angles of rotation.

If possible could any one post the diagram that u got. It would be much appreciated

We r using a Honda cbr600 RR

Thanx in advance

Anirudh

VFR750R
04-19-2009, 08:54 AM
I would call around to web cams, comp cams etc. and see if they already have the data for your stock cams. If they do not, they have special cam measuring machines that are designed for that purpose and are really accurate. Send them your cam, and for a probably really low fee they could just measure them. This data will be as accurate as you can get.

I don't think measuring it by hand will net you great results. You may be able to get some general information by using a indexing head for a mill and a indicator with a FLAT bottom (close to valve bucket), but even buckets typically have some crown to them. If you could fixture a head with a degree wheel and turn it over by hand with a bucket and valve attached, that would give you true valve lifts.

Wesley
04-20-2009, 07:03 AM
I'd say you at least need to duplicate the diameter of the valve bucket to get accurate results. Your ramp angles will be skewed otherwise. Total lift will be fine though.

VFR750R
04-20-2009, 10:09 AM
You probably meant this anyway Wes, but just for clarification the indicator needs a diameter >= bucket diameter. It can be as big as you want, just not smaller then the bucket.