PDA

View Full Version : Single cylinder car in 2003 FSAE

Disco
05-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Hello All,
Just wondering how many cars were single cylinder in the 2003 FSAE competition, which teams used them, and how they went in the competition?
Cheers
Steve

Disco
05-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Hello All,
Just wondering how many cars were single cylinder in the 2003 FSAE competition, which teams used them, and how they went in the competition?
Cheers
Steve

Disco
05-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Ok, that question worked well! Does anybody know of any teams that used a single cylinder motor in the us competition in 2003??

MercerFSAE C. Burch
05-26-2003, 09:29 PM
The Sioux Formula One racing team of North Dakota, if my memory serves me correctly, ran a 1-cyl from a snowmobile to match their CVT. I don't believe the car did very well in the compeition.

If I can think of any more teams I'll post again.

Chris,
Mercer University - Drive!
Coming to an Auto-X track near you, May 2004!

Bob Wright
05-27-2003, 10:52 PM
You can either decrease you engine size to suit the amount of power you can put down on the course, or you can look at how much fuel youve got to work with and how far its got to take you and try and use it all to keep average acceleration as high as possible in the direction you want it. Weight is not so important until you can hook up the power youve got, and that goes for transients as well(so long as your tires are the right size and working). In terms of the average available force the driving tyres can be supplied with vs what they can hook up over a lap, FSAE is more like dirt rally cars than other open wheelers. Whatch videos of your car going round at last years comp and count how many seconds per lap the tyres can hook up what the engine has to give them. Its not much (mabey 2 or three seconds).

so again either match your engine to the potential the tyres have, or use all but those few seconds a lap to drive the car into the ground while there is power potential not being used.

That is exactly what Carroll Smith was talking about for all those years (and he told me he was a bit dissapointed that the Aus comp cousre last year was so small that our car couldnt quite blow everyone away)

In summary: There are FAR bigger gains to be made in FSAE traction than in FSAE weight. Dont limmit yourself by putting a Lego engine in your car.

Then theres low speed traction...... http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bob Wright
Monash University
Australia

Test Driver
05-31-2003, 06:02 PM
Can anyone from Tokyo Denki please email me at;

carroceriamendoza@yahoo.com

Me and a friend are in the area and would love to visit if possible. Thanks.

Ramon Mendoza
BRIDGESTONE/FIRESTONE North American Tire, LLC
Ride and Handling Group
Texas Proving Ground
915-336-4834

Jon @ Electromotive, Inc.
06-04-2003, 11:29 AM
We at Kasnas State U. used a single cyl engine. We were pretty happy with the performance. (now if only we could have passed that blasted brake test) The lack of power was of relatively little issue compared to some as we only weighed 361 lbs(They checked three times). We also used very wide tires to make up for the loss of weight on them.

Engine: Honda 400EX with JE 12.5:1 piston and HRC racing cam

HP: unknown (they closed the dyno two cars before we got there)

After driving the car, I think we could honestly have handled the track without brakes. Just letting off the gas a bit and you could crank the wheel to the lock and the car wouldn't push at all the way through second gear and well into 3rd. It was a blast to drive even after our brakes broke. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Brent Howard
06-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Have to say Jon....your "Fun Meter" was a really good addition to your trailer and very fitting for our team as well. Too bad it was only on 1/8th a tank. I had a really good laugh when i saw it.

Brent

www.ucalgary.ca/fsae (http://www.ucalgary.ca/fsae)

Jon @ Electromotive, Inc.
06-04-2003, 12:34 PM
You may be thinking of a different trailer (sometimes KU and KSU get confused and we are quite different schools). What we really needed was a sleep meter. We didn't make it to any dynamic events because of our brakes but we were sending people to the drivers meetings like so we could go if we got the brakes working. We had at least one guy fall asleep while walking to the endurance drviers meeting (!!). No thats not a mistake, he actually ran into to someone as he was falling.

Oh, well. We still had a blast and are looking forward to making a bigger impact next year.

Jon

Brent Howard
06-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Yeah, Must have been KU, It was a red trailer with a bird on it I think. Sorry about that. E had simaler sleep problems. Pulled 2 weeks of 20 hour days and then slept only about 5 hours in the first three nights in Detroit. I'm sure the judges noticed when they were met with only a blank stare to the simplest questions haha. Oh well, were getting started right away on next years car so we shouldn't have any difficulties with sleep this year.

Brent

www.ucalgary.ca/fsae (http://www.ucalgary.ca/fsae)