PDA

View Full Version : F4i Voltage regulators

Paul S
02-11-2004, 01:43 PM
We are using a CBR600 F4i and can't seem to find a happy medium with the voltage regulator. Before last year (and before my time) the team used whatever voltage regulators they could get from the scrapyard for an engine this size. Apparently, the reliability of these was a problem, and the team would go through several in a year.

Last year and this, we have been using the stock F4i regulator, and reliability has not been a problem. The issue is that the output voltage regularly jumps to levels >15V. I suppose it could be a problem with inductance in the wiring harness but I'm really skeptical.

Any other EE/welectrical system people run into this? Anyone have a suggestion about how to cure this?

Thanks,
Paul
UTexas Formula SAE Ergonomics and Controls team

Paul S
02-11-2004, 01:43 PM
We are using a CBR600 F4i and can't seem to find a happy medium with the voltage regulator. Before last year (and before my time) the team used whatever voltage regulators they could get from the scrapyard for an engine this size. Apparently, the reliability of these was a problem, and the team would go through several in a year.

Last year and this, we have been using the stock F4i regulator, and reliability has not been a problem. The issue is that the output voltage regularly jumps to levels >15V. I suppose it could be a problem with inductance in the wiring harness but I'm really skeptical.

Any other EE/welectrical system people run into this? Anyone have a suggestion about how to cure this?

Thanks,
Paul
UTexas Formula SAE Ergonomics and Controls team

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
02-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Hey Paul,

We have alot of teams that use our ECU with the F4I and and the stock regulator works fine. Anything designed to work in an automotive environment will be protected and able to handle those kinds of jumps. Things like the starter and coils switch much more juice and can be more of a problem to the electrical system.

Brian Lewis
Performance Electronics, Ltd.
www.pe-ltd.com (http://www.pe-ltd.com)
"Complete Engine Management Systems for $798"

Ryan Schoffer
02-11-2004, 03:18 PM
we use the stock regulator and have had no problems

you could wire up another little box to smooth out the coltage levels if you wanted, but as stated above, all autopmotive equipment should be designed with these types of spikes in mind

Vehicle electronics leader

www.ucalgary.ca/fsae (http://www.ucalgary.ca/fsae)

Eric
02-11-2004, 03:24 PM
I agree with Brian and Ryan; the voltage regulator is one of the few things that we haven't been concerned enough with to address.

RagingGrandpa
02-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Ours (F4) usually work fine too, so long as we don't try to charge our big deep-cycle jumper battery with the system (leave it connected). Wires got hot enough their insulation all melted together. Opps http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

"...with powershifts and tiresmoke for all"