PDA

View Full Version : Delta Temperature Map

TorqueWrench
12-27-2009, 11:42 PM
I am probably seriously over thinking this and/or dealing with too much information being provided, but I have been staring at a set of plots I received to go with a compressor for a while. Only posts on the forums I can find about compressor maps are people complaining about getting the wrong one for the GT12.

Included are four maps: Insentropic Compressor Efficiency, Isentropic Efficiency, Volumetric Efficiency, and Delta Temperature. The first three are pretty self explanatory and standard to any maps I have seen, but the Delta Temperature I can't seem to find any information on.

X and Y axis are the standard vol flow rate and pressure ratios, with then power draw and compressor speed lines drawn on the plot. I then have roughly horizontal lines labeled 10, 20, 30, etc increasing as pressure ratio increases.

I guess my question is, how is this plot used? As far as I know, air temp can be roughly calculated iteratively through pressure ratio and compressor efficiency, so is this plot even needed or was it included to save time on doing calculations?

TorqueWrench
12-27-2009, 11:42 PM
I am probably seriously over thinking this and/or dealing with too much information being provided, but I have been staring at a set of plots I received to go with a compressor for a while. Only posts on the forums I can find about compressor maps are people complaining about getting the wrong one for the GT12.

Included are four maps: Insentropic Compressor Efficiency, Isentropic Efficiency, Volumetric Efficiency, and Delta Temperature. The first three are pretty self explanatory and standard to any maps I have seen, but the Delta Temperature I can't seem to find any information on.

X and Y axis are the standard vol flow rate and pressure ratios, with then power draw and compressor speed lines drawn on the plot. I then have roughly horizontal lines labeled 10, 20, 30, etc increasing as pressure ratio increases.

I guess my question is, how is this plot used? As far as I know, air temp can be roughly calculated iteratively through pressure ratio and compressor efficiency, so is this plot even needed or was it included to save time on doing calculations?

Drew Price
12-28-2009, 11:53 AM
I think you hit it on the head - it's possibly a measured plot of stady state actual temp increase across compressor-in and compressor-out to take the computation load off of you.

Is there a tech help channel from where you got it that you can double check? (since you're asking here, I am guessing you sent to that and didn't receive a response, but never know).

Best,
Drew

TorqueWrench
12-28-2009, 12:02 PM
I received the plots from Eaton, but my contact there is out of the office until January 4th and I don't really want to bother them if it can be avoided seeing as they were nice enough to send the unit that I just got in my mailbox. Figured I would take a stab at the collective knowledge of FSAE teams first.

EDIT: Well, isentropic compression equations don't yield the same answer as their Delta Temperature plot. Guess I will wait for a response.