PDA

View Full Version : Rear roll centre migration characteristics

AllenGeorge2008
04-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Hi.
I was considering a few things for the design of our rear suspension geometry. I did get a fair idea of issues such as the roll centre heights for the front and the rear relative to each other; what m still puzzled about is their migration.

Let me put it as a situation. When the vehicle takes a turn to the left … the front roll centre follows the same direction i.e. towards the left w.r.t. the centre axis of the car. Now in which direction and what magnitude should I expect/want the rear RC to move.

Common sense tells me, in the same direction and slightly lesser magnitude. in that case I would have my roll axis traversing from front left towards rear right ( but still to the right of the centre axis). So, I can expect descent traction for my front right tyre when entering a the corner… m not too sure about the corner exit part…

Anyone..?

AllenGeorge2008
04-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Hi.
I was considering a few things for the design of our rear suspension geometry. I did get a fair idea of issues such as the roll centre heights for the front and the rear relative to each other; what m still puzzled about is their migration.

Let me put it as a situation. When the vehicle takes a turn to the left … the front roll centre follows the same direction i.e. towards the left w.r.t. the centre axis of the car. Now in which direction and what magnitude should I expect/want the rear RC to move.

Common sense tells me, in the same direction and slightly lesser magnitude. in that case I would have my roll axis traversing from front left towards rear right ( but still to the right of the centre axis). So, I can expect descent traction for my front right tyre when entering a the corner… m not too sure about the corner exit part…

Anyone..?