PDA

View Full Version : required air flow numbers for engine

A Reinke
10-08-2003, 08:28 AM
we've heard some different stories here, but i was talking with an individual from Turbo Engineering and he said the safe estimate is 1 lb/min of air per 10 HP of the engine.

does this number change if you're using a turbo'ed engine compared to a naturally aspirated engine? i could see the flows needing to be higher since the engine isn't getting compressed air...but maybe i'm wrong?

does anyone have numbers for flow estimates...turbo'ed or NA?

~Adam

[This message was edited by A Reinke on October 08, 2003 at 11:51 AM.]

A Reinke
10-08-2003, 08:28 AM
we've heard some different stories here, but i was talking with an individual from Turbo Engineering and he said the safe estimate is 1 lb/min of air per 10 HP of the engine.

does this number change if you're using a turbo'ed engine compared to a naturally aspirated engine? i could see the flows needing to be higher since the engine isn't getting compressed air...but maybe i'm wrong?

does anyone have numbers for flow estimates...turbo'ed or NA?

~Adam

[This message was edited by A Reinke on October 08, 2003 at 11:51 AM.]

A Reinke
10-08-2003, 09:22 AM
called around and found out, yes that number of air requirement will change with a compressed motor because the volumetric efficiency is over 100% on a turboed motor. (ya learn something new everyday http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

my question now is now, some turbo makers list turbo air flow's in feet/min - what numbers am i looking at for that requirement then?

~Adam

C Z
10-08-2003, 09:37 AM
I'm guessing you meant ft^3/min for the turbos flow? If so, it's just finding the density of air and you can convert it to lbs/min or vice versa

A Reinke
10-08-2003, 09:41 AM
yeah...ft^3/min - so i did the density conversion using .08 lb/ft^3 for air at near sea level.

that means 8 lb/min is equal to 100 ft^3/min.

seem valid enough?

(i had .8 for density originally...i'm a dumbass, lol)

A Reinke
10-08-2003, 09:45 AM
so anyway...what kind of flowrates are you guys using for engine induction design?

Marc Jaxa-Rozen
10-08-2003, 03:46 PM
CI/3456 X VE% X max RPM. I don't really like empirical equations like that but it's a decent estimation.

Marc
ENAF1