PDA

View Full Version : EGR systems

Menace esquire
02-10-2004, 12:06 AM
Just wondering whether anyone has toyed with the idea of using an EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve?

That's Sir menace to you...

Menace esquire
02-10-2004, 12:06 AM
Just wondering whether anyone has toyed with the idea of using an EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve?

That's Sir menace to you...

Matt Ahl
02-10-2004, 01:30 AM
You'd have to run it back through the restrictor because all engine airflow must pass through the restrictor as per the rules. Then there'd be no point, unless you are concerned about Nox emissions and feel like giving up some power.

Jreyenga
02-10-2004, 09:28 AM
I'm not too sure it'd have to go through the restrictor, because that same air already did go through the restrictor once...

Does it have to go through twice?

I'm not too sure it would hurt power on a restricted engine, but it would be interesting to play around with.

Charlie
02-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Yeah perhaps you could bypass the restrictor legally, but c'mon what good would an EGR do? They are basically displacement reducers for improved fuel economy and lowered combustion temps (for NOx). EGR is used when you don't need power and you want to use less fuel. If your drivers are in cruise mode you have bigger issues!

-Charlie Ping

I just need enough to tide me over until I need more.

Frank
02-10-2004, 11:57 AM
***statement deleted***

but i think you'd be in for a ****fight at tech inspection

[This message was edited by Frank on February 10, 2004 at 04:54 PM.]

Charlie
02-10-2004, 01:03 PM
I'd like to see the reasoning behind why it would work, I agree with Frank that you probably are wasting your time b/c the judges wouldn't allow it anyway.

But why would that possibly work, someone enlighten me. Maybe 5-10% of what's coming out of the exhaust can contribute to another combustion process, the rest is just taking up space and effetively reducing your displacement.

-Charlie Ping

I just need enough to tide me over until I need more.

Frank
02-10-2004, 01:53 PM
gees,
my mind has been playing "which came first, the chicken or the egg" all night http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

i don't think you'd make more power

my favoured method of cheating a restrictor is to induce a "temporary" manifold leak

Jreyenga
02-10-2004, 03:25 PM
you're probably right, you most likely won't make any more power.

Menace just got me thinking, once flow through your restrictor starts choking, you could introduce "extra" exhaust gas into the intake. This would mean just a smidgen of extra oxygen, and unburnt hydrocarbons(more of the later). There's probably a lot more to gain with other tricks to get more effectice combustion, or better fuel atomization(I'm thinking sonic transducers in the intake)

We're building a race car, not something that's supposed to get good gas mileage, oh wait....

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
02-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Don't waste your time. EGR is used ONLY to introduce inert gases back into the intake for the purposes of reducing the peak combustion temperature. This is effective for only reducing NOx.

Brian Lewis
Performance Electronics, Ltd.
www.pe-ltd.com (http://www.pe-ltd.com)
"Complete Engine Management Systems for $798"

Chris Boyden
02-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Do you mean "ultra sonic" transducers for the intake? Ultrasonic humidifiers are neat.....It's amazing how water instantly turns into an aerosol when it hits the transducer.

Jreyenga
02-11-2004, 02:48 PM
yeah ultra-sonic is what I meant.

www.theoldone.com (http://www.theoldone.com) has some mention of experimenting with that kind of stuff in the BBS section. (BTW it's an overall pretty informative site on engine design)

The guru of guru's
02-19-2004, 02:17 AM
Id like to clarify a few things with the egr
As pat stated the exhaust didnt need to be passed through the restrictor again.
The concept of having one was to reduce the engine from being throttled at higher rpm. Therefore being able to spint the engine up to max rpm. The EGR wouldnt be turned on until it was needed. This seems to be a loophole i the rules for the throttling effect of the restrictor. However for every advantage there is a disadvantege!

Cheers

You can have any colour car as long as its black. Henry Ford