PDA

View Full Version : Quality Management System, DIN EN ISO 9001

Nick T.
01-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Does anyone have any experience with Quality Management Systems in motorsports/ FS?
Does anyone know any literature/ recommendable books concerning that topic?

Why Iīm asking:
The Formula Student Team from RWTH Aachen has always been quite sovereign concerning control from our university, which lead to a high level of independance on the one hand. On the other, we would like to handle knowhow and knowledge of previous generations better...
Thatīs why we decided to implement a Quality Management System based on the DIN EN ISO 9001 norm.
And Iīm searching for similar cases or other teams that have worked on that topic somewhat "scientifically" in order to share experiences.

Thanx,

Nick

Nick T.
01-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Does anyone have any experience with Quality Management Systems in motorsports/ FS?
Does anyone know any literature/ recommendable books concerning that topic?

Why Iīm asking:
The Formula Student Team from RWTH Aachen has always been quite sovereign concerning control from our university, which lead to a high level of independance on the one hand. On the other, we would like to handle knowhow and knowledge of previous generations better...
Thatīs why we decided to implement a Quality Management System based on the DIN EN ISO 9001 norm.
And Iīm searching for similar cases or other teams that have worked on that topic somewhat "scientifically" in order to share experiences.

Thanx,

Nick

Rellis
01-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Why would you waste your time with ISO 9001

Its a big waste of time in the real world let alone in a FSAE team.

It would be nice to have all of the documentation but it takes alot of time to write it. I also dont see the point in telling some one how they have to make something kinda ruins the point doesn't it?
Are you going to do audits every year> ^ month tool calibrations? Or are you just going to say we work to ISO 9001 guidelines?

Zac
01-10-2009, 09:52 PM
In the real world ISO 9001 is more of a compliance thing than anything else. Many companies are ISO certified, but from what I've seen it's mostly just so they can tell their customers that they're ISO certified.

I don't think it necessarily will improve the quality of your output at all, and in the case of FSAE it might hurt it considerably.

I think in almost any situation, quality, success, etc. are a result of developing a culture where team members are engaged in the whole process and pay attention to the details. In FSAE the three biggest things are probably knowledge management, risk management, and figuring out how to keep team members motivated while holding them accountable. If you need to implement some fancy flavor of the month management/quality system to accomplish that so be it, but it just seems like a huge waste of resources.

Some words of wisdom, "If you take care of the little things, the big things take care of themselves"

exFSAE
01-11-2009, 09:03 AM
A quality management system is probably overkill. It's hard enough to convince undergrads to log their work hours and name files appropriately (not "tHE gOODS.sldasm" or "kenny's upright v5 final for real.sldprt").

Knowledge retention is essential though. Keep it simple and informal for first and see how many people get in on it.

Best way to do it IMO is to get sophomore and juniors involved somehow in the design process, for the most design-intensive areas like suspension and powertrain. Beyond that, have everyone track their progress, hours put in per week. Afterward should have a good idea for future teams how much workload is required for system X, Y, and Z.

Make design reports required. Maybe for the first half of the year, something a bit more "wordy" that describes the thought process that goes into everything. At the end of the year, something really slimmed down, an actual engineering document that describes every parameter of the car. Good preparation for design event.

Hector
01-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Our faculty advisor has been concerned with the loss of information over time since a large part of what you learn in SAE is word-of-mouth. To help combat this, he has begun offering school credit in the form of independent research. Seniors on the team that have been system leaders for a while are given the opportunity to document their designs, design issues/problems, technical knowledge, and future ideas for future teams. There's very little "research" involved - most of the research has taken place over the past four years. Instead, it's just a formal report the details the specifics of what has been learned.

The result of this experiment has been quite good. We get a little class credit - usually an our or two (counts as a technical elective here). In the end we have nice papers dealing with the systems on our car. The most valuable part of this is failure documentation - it's useful to know what breaks and why before you start designing.

The reports are usually bound, along with copies of our technical papers relating to the subject. This way, the sum of all knowledge our team has on the subject is passed down to future members. The author will usually include a "if I had more time/money/experience I would have...." section to encourage future students and give them some ideas for improvement.

Now when we have a new guy looking to join the team it is easy to point them to our reports and tell them to read. The papers are a fairly quick read and provide a decent understanding of the different systems and what they entail.

I'm in my (second) senior year and I'm in the middle of writing my paper now. I've found that it has actually helped me quite a bit. In the process of organizing all my thoughts, I've gotten an even better grasp on my system. I've been forced to think exactly why I have designed my system the way it is, and where there is room for improvement. I'm sure that putting this report together is good practice for design at competition, since that is essentially what we all do anyways.

Anyways, that's our solution to the problem of quality control and knowledge transfer. It's fairly simple, but gets the job done. ISO standards are just too clunky for an FSAE team.

meets
01-11-2009, 09:29 PM
hey guys

figured I finally contribute rather than lurking the whole time.

i'm glad this topic was mentioned as i am currently looking into completing a final year thesis regarding knowledge retention/transfer.

unfortunately for creativity's sake it will probably involve some standards framework as a base - why do all the hard work when someone has done it for you.

admittedly a formula sae team is nothing like a large organisation and QMS is definitely overkill, but there is plenty that can be learnt from best-practice in the wider engineering / manufacturing industry.

Hector, I love what you guys are doing as things like that are something I will be trying to implement if i get the chance.

if i ever come up with anything ground breaking i'll let you all know http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Nick T.
01-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Hey guys.

Thanks for the replies and describal of your pragmatic approaches. It is indeed possible, that we are "shooting sparrows with cannons" as a german saying says, but there are a couple of points to "defend" our position:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Why QMS?:
We want the QMS to automatically result in a very good project management as well. We will use a QM Wiki that will show all processes.
Further, we want to extend it and use a usual Wiki as well, which is supposed to work as a real-time documentation platform (during the project).
This approach will work instead of Hectorīs bound copies of previous years (after project) and will eventually result in several design reports that work as a basis for the final one like "exFSAE" described it.

<LI> Waste of ressources/ "nice to have documentation but it takes alot of time to write it":
I have to do a mini-thesis (200 hours) anyway, so why not for this? Itīs a nice scientific work for somebody who doesnīt want to do part design, FEM and all that stuff.
I found an institute and a professor at my university who accepted this mini-thesis. Iīm quite sure that anything "smaller" than a QMS (and 200 hours) would not have been accepted/ supported.
Besides, a lot of team members including me joined the team in order to do things that we will encounter in our future jobs as well. So itīs a personal interest, too.

<LI> "telling the people how to make the car"
Much of the processes that we are writing and analyzing right now, consider non-technical stuff. In my oppinion this doesnīt affect the speed of decisions on events for example, nor how to design the car.
Instead it gives new team members the possibility, to look up "best practices" - how financial/ insurance/... things have been done in the past.
The goal is something like a "manual" for the team, not how to design and build the car.

<LI> "documentation would be nice, but..."
The QMS will inevitably lead us to better documentation and distribution of information that is necessary in a "company" with such a high staff turnover/ fluctuation like all FS teams have.

<LI> bureaucracy/ "if every thing is under control you are going to slow"
Iīm certain that it is much more likely that the QMS helps in doing things than it slows down: imagine a freshman running around not knowing what to do. Thatīs where the QM Wiki can help him.
IMO the other case, that the QMS will slow things down or avoid somebody to do something, is not as likely.

<LI> "just to say we work to DIN EN ISO 9001"
The 9001-certification is a "waste product" that would be nice to have. But we are implementing the QMS because we believe it will help us.
We will do a first audit when weīre done. Then we will see if we do another after the first one expires after 3 years.

<LI> "culture and details"/ "If you need to implement some fancy flavor of the month management/quality system to accomplish that so be it, but it just seems like a huge waste of resources."
We kept it simple and informal in the past. We donīt have juniors naming their parts "kennys final version for real", but still we are not as succesful as we would like to be.
It seems that we have to go further and dig deeper in order to get better.

<LI> "three biggest things are probably knowledge management, risk management, (motivation and) holding members accountable"
Could you tell me a nice generic name for what you mentioned?
(I can give you a hint - it starts with a "Q")
[/list]
I would be glad to learn about more of your ways to get your teams organized and running properly. the keywords are effectiveness and efficiency (Kick Off, setting the goals, doing things only once...).
This would help us to define the processes and the ways to measure the outcome of the process, so that the entire process-orientation really makes sense.
Thanks in advance,
Nick

Hector
01-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Sounds like a very interesting project/mini-thesis you have there. I'd be very interested in hearing how things go when you get done with it. Maybe the sparrows-with-cannons analogy is fitting, but just by having a system, any system, you're doing better than most teams.

Keep us posted if you can http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ben
01-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Nick,

What you're proposing is laudable, but don't be under any illusion, in a professional company with ISO 9001 accreditation don't assume that this means that the procedures are actively part of individual engineers project management in a direct way.

Personally having played around with some of the Wiki software (DokuWiki, etc) I'd probably go that route.

Having said that, you mention knowledge of ISO 9001 as a useful "waste product" of the process, and provided that you've got the people (yourself?) to do it that obviously has educational value.

Keep us all posted on this interesting project.

Ben

ben
01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ben:
Nick,

What you're proposing is laudable, but don't be under any illusion. In a professional company with ISO 9001 accreditation don't assume that the procedures are actively part of individual engineers project management in a direct way.

Personally having played around with some of the Wiki software (DokuWiki, etc) I'd probably go that route, were I doing FSAE again and I'm contemplating using them at work.

Having said that, you mention knowledge of ISO 9001 as a useful "waste product" of the process, and provided that you've got the people (yourself?) to do it that obviously has educational value.

Keep us all posted on this interesting project.

Ben </div></BLOCKQUOTE>