PDA

View Full Version : Master cylinder activation

Big Daddy
11-18-2003, 03:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used cables instead of mounting the cylinders directly to the pedal via a mechanical linkage.

"A woman is a lot like a beer, they look good, smell good, and you would run over your own mother to get one." Homer Simpson

Nobody is born with a steering wheel or a gear shift in his hand. It's something you choose to do or you don't.
Mario Andretti (1977)

Big Daddy
11-18-2003, 03:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used cables instead of mounting the cylinders directly to the pedal via a mechanical linkage.

"A woman is a lot like a beer, they look good, smell good, and you would run over your own mother to get one." Homer Simpson

Nobody is born with a steering wheel or a gear shift in his hand. It's something you choose to do or you don't.
Mario Andretti (1977)

Brent Howard
11-18-2003, 04:17 PM
Be careful with cables...you need alot of force t actuate a master cylinder. Also, cables tend to fray if they are put in tight radius's, limiting their percived benefit.

Brent

www.ucalgary.ca/fsae (http://www.ucalgary.ca/fsae)

Big Daddy
11-18-2003, 04:41 PM
Agreed I was just wondering if any one had done it before and if so where there any safty issues from the judge's stand point. I have some really nice cables in mind http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Mario Andretti (1977)

PatClarke
11-18-2003, 05:50 PM
As a judge I would have no problem with remote mounted master cylinders operated by cables, as long as it was done safely and correctly.
Regards
PDR

Rudeness is a weak mans imitation of strength

Big Daddy
11-18-2003, 06:28 PM
There would be two cables incase one broke so you would not lose braking. Thanks Pat.

Mario Andretti (1977)

Ehsan
12-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Two cables is the correct way to go, but would there be any way for the driver to know that one of the cables is broken? I would imagine that it would be dangerous to drive the car with one of the cables broken because then you have no backup. Of course if one cable broke, then it also signals a high likelihood of the other one breaking, unless it was a manufacturing flaw in the first cable, and not a design problem.

Foote
12-08-2003, 02:40 PM
I would be most worried about lost motion. I know that at least in our footbox, we don't have a lot of room, and having even a little lost motion can really throw off your braking setup.

Max_camber_gain
12-08-2003, 09:00 PM
I know from the prevoius 2 Australian competitions that Tokyo Denki ran with a twin cable setup. The master cylinders were placed behind the dash, and the cables ran from the pedal to them. I dont know where the bias bar was. I am unaware of any problems suffered from them.

The promary reason to un them in this way was to make the car shorter.