PDA

View Full Version : Wheel speed sensors

Ben Beacock
06-02-2003, 09:32 AM
I've heard of teams having problems with toothed wheels and sensors. Are most using hall-effect or VR sensors? I was too busy to remember to look when I was there. Any particular ones to stay away from?

Thanks,

Ben Beacock
Co-Manager
2004 Gryphon Racing - University of Guelph

Ben Beacock
06-02-2003, 09:32 AM
I've heard of teams having problems with toothed wheels and sensors. Are most using hall-effect or VR sensors? I was too busy to remember to look when I was there. Any particular ones to stay away from?

Thanks,

Ben Beacock
Co-Manager
2004 Gryphon Racing - University of Guelph

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
06-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Hi Ben,

We have had great luck using Honewell's Hall effect sensor. We have never used it as a wheel speed sensor, but as an engine speed sensor it works great (even in a hot oilbath). If you want a datasheet, you can download one from our website at the following location http://www.pe-ltd.com/support.htm. Best thing is that it's a stocked part at Newark.(www.newark.com).

Brian Lewis
Performance Electronics, Ltd.
www.pe-ltd.com (http://www.pe-ltd.com)
"Complete Engine Management Systems"

imajerk
06-02-2003, 11:13 PM
Monash are using Honewell's Hall effect sensor (for engine) as well, and we are extremely happy with the results. It's also reasonably easy to mount, and overall looks very tough and will survive harsh conditions... I think it's good for up to 150degrees. Have a look at the datasheet mentioned above.

Ben Beacock
01-26-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm currently configuring the location for our front sensors, and it would be ideal to sense off the floating rotor pins. Roughly how much heat from radiation could be expected about 3mm from the inside edge of the rotor? I don't expect glowing rotor temperatures and the sensor is rated to 150degC according to the datasheet.

MoTeC
01-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi Guys,
Just my two cents worth. I generally recommend Hall sensors where ever I can because they are a lot easier to set up compared to magnetic sensors. The only problems you will get with Hall sensors is that they are fairly fragile and don't like to be hit by rocks and stuff. And as mentioned before they don't like heat so I would not recomend them for internal engine use (unless you come across one that is designed for this).

Stay away from anything that is non-automotive they just aren't designed to go on race cars.

Magnetic sensors are probably the most reliable but you have to have an ECU that can use them, remember their output is relative to the speed at which the tooth goes past it. They also take a lot of heat so most standard bike sensors are magnetic.

Sparky
01-26-2005, 10:29 PM
We used the honeywell sr17 serie to good effect on out last two cars, our setup does seem a little fragile, but it has never failed despite bumps, rocks and cones. We mount on the opposite side of the upright of the rotor so heat isnt a problem.

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
01-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Hi Ben,

I think that you will be ok with the Honeywell in that configuration. We have actually used these sensors internally in an old Yamaha engine during dyno flogging. Other than the wire insulation taking on oil and the fact that the maximum allowable gap changes when the sensor sees elevated temps, they worked fine.

alfordda
01-27-2005, 02:13 PM
I think the first year we ran a Honda we replaced the stock sensor with that Honeywell sensor. The engine ran fine, so I doubt there will be any problem with it near a hot rotor.

Erich Ohlde
01-27-2005, 02:29 PM
We run a hall effect sensor for our front wheel speed and we haven't had any problems other than a very occasional "chattering" effect when we come to a stop. We also run floating rotors but we just attached a 12 tooth trigger wheel from an old f4i(i think) to our hub and we have had zero problems with heat. We've seen rotor temps in the 300-350 F range cause the driver road the brakes like an old lady. just make sure you get the gap set properly

Agent4573
01-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Are you sure about those temps jayhawk? We use the same honeywell sensor that everyone has been talking about, but we've been having some problems with it. Last year we tried to run the stock speed sensor that came with the r6 and everytime we actually connected it the engine wouldn't run.... hopefully a different wiring scheme will fix that problem this year.

Anyway, back to the original question, 350 F? I'm looking at more than twice that this year on our rotors.

dartmouth01
01-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Anyone know of a good supplier of honeywell sensors, like the wheelspeed one?

Agent4573
01-28-2005, 06:34 PM
performance electronics sells them.

Erich Ohlde
01-30-2005, 06:04 PM
We took the temps off the rotors with an infared temp guage right after the car came to a stop from approximately 10-15mins of hard driving. We were driving on a football field sized parking lot and with a slalom and a approx 50 yard straight.
The car we were running does have rather bad brakes. I will take more indepth measurements as soon as we begin driver training/autoxing that car in the spring.

We got our halleffect sensors from www.mouser.com (http://www.mouser.com)

I can get a part number if anyone needs it

Garlic
01-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Infrared can be innacurate on the rotors due to emissivity. Might want to verify those numbers with a contact thermocouple or similar.