PDA

View Full Version : Cooling system

Eureka Man
05-21-2010, 02:26 AM
Hi guys,
I am in short a begineer to cooling systems. I have read all the basic concepts and terminologies involved in it.
Please Help me out in giving the way or procedure which I should follow to make the cooling system for my car.

Reply Early

Eureka Man
05-21-2010, 02:26 AM
Hi guys,
I am in short a begineer to cooling systems. I have read all the basic concepts and terminologies involved in it.
Please Help me out in giving the way or procedure which I should follow to make the cooling system for my car.

Reply Early

vandit
05-21-2010, 04:31 AM
Step 1: Click Left mouse button on 'Find'.

Step 2: type any of the following keywords 'Cooling system design', 'Radiator design', 'Engine cooling', etc.

Step 3: Click Left mouse button on 'Go'

I actually tried above procedure to post a link from previous threads but then i realised there are really good threads and you should have a look at most of them.

Eureka Man
05-21-2010, 05:35 AM
Hey,
thats ok... I know how to find threads.
But the key point I am asking is we have many things in cooling systems, so on which shud we focus 1st(primarily) , and then next focus.. like that

AxelRipper
05-21-2010, 06:24 AM
In order:

1.) radiator sizing
2.) airflow over radiator (ducting, fans, etc)
3.) everything else (auto-fans, etc)

there, you should be set now

Eureka Man
05-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Since cooling the engine oil will be of great importance to us, therefore
Can anybody tell me that for cooling of engine oil, should we also let it pass through the radiator along with the coolant or can do something better ??

Wesley
05-22-2010, 01:43 AM
If you know how to search, do it. There is years of information stored on these boards, and if you don't search, you're losing most of the good stuff. Start off there, figure out what you need to know, then ask some questions from there. If you can develop more specific questions, we will be happy to answer more. Like this:

"I know that I need to get heat rejection numbers for my engine in order to size my radiator properly, which methods would you suggest? A flow meter and a couple thermocouples?"

or

"How do most people estimate their radiator size? NTU method? A Lumped model? Purely test-based and not theory based?"

or

"Here are my budget and packaging constraints, I know I"ll need such and such core size with my flow rates, do you know of radiators that meet my criteria?"

Or possibly:

"From what I've read I know duct design is another critical parameter, how would you recommend I start optimizing, and what changes will affect my flow through my radiator other than just my airspeed?"

Eureka Man
05-28-2010, 11:57 PM
1) Can anybody plz tell me that if we want to purchase the radiator how should we look for it ??

2) What are the different calculations involved in cooling system like air flow, etc..
Where can we get the formulae used in cooling systems..
Also if someone has a nice PDF or Ebook or some book in knowledge regarding cooling systems, can u plz share it...

exFSAE
05-29-2010, 06:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eureka Man:
Where can we get the formulae used in cooling systems.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your textbooks?

Lorenzo Pessa
05-31-2010, 02:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eureka Man:
1) Can anybody plz tell me that if we want to purchase the radiator how should we look for it ?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

shops, internet, from a motorbike, radiator manufacturing. Avoid home forniture.

Eureka Man
06-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks guys,
Can anybody tell me the mechanical water pump flow rates of Honda CBR 600RR at different RPMs ???? If anybody has any papaer or some source with the required data, Please share it here..

colinE30
06-04-2010, 07:41 AM
To figure out a water pump rate there are a few methods.

My perfered method is fairly easy and looks great on design boards! What you want to do is take your engine rpm multiplied by the radius of your water pump then divided by pi, (because your engine rotates in a circle). You will then need to measure the coolant input to the pump size again dividing by pi. Now, because the input size is less important than the number of blades that your water pump has, we will divide by the blade count. Finally the tricky bit, you will need to measure the total volume of your cooling tubes. This is very important because we all know that the amount of fluid that you have is directly proportional to the flow rate. Take this number and multiply it by your final drive ratio, this will factor in drivetrain losses, and then add it to the other numbers.

This will get you close.

Also if you divide this number by gravity, then it will give you the optimum number of blades your fan will need to properly cool everything.

If you have any questions ask BP, they are good at flow rate stuff.

Wesley
06-05-2010, 10:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ks guys,
Can anybody tell me the mechanical water pump flow rates of Honda CBR 600RR at different RPMs ???? If anybody has any papaer or some source with the required data, Please share it here.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Option 1 - A bucket. Hook your water pump up to a suitably fast motor, spin it at various speeds reflecting engine speed, and see how fast the bucket fills up.

Option 2 - An inline flow meter on your dyno.

theloyal
04-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Hi Guys,
I am designing the cooling system, all i have done is that at constant Flow rate of Water and Air, i find out the heat rejection then after reading Fundamentals of Heat Exchanger by Shah i design a system capable of cooling that number..
Then after that i come to the real case where my flow rate of water is varying with Different RPM which i have also calculated but finding air flow rate which is also varying is problem faced by me. Can someone suggest me that how can i found air flow rate, remember i am using electric fan which is operated by thermostatic switch..
Regards