PDA

View Full Version : Parting car; what can be used?

StevenL
01-03-2010, 05:56 PM
So I am parting an 88 e30 out. And wanted to know what i could keep off of it to use on a car. I dont have to to use it, just know it can be used. So far im gonna take off. The brake lines (SS, teflon coated) And possibly the TB and new fuel line i recently replaced. Anything else?

StevenL
01-03-2010, 05:56 PM
So I am parting an 88 e30 out. And wanted to know what i could keep off of it to use on a car. I dont have to to use it, just know it can be used. So far im gonna take off. The brake lines (SS, teflon coated) And possibly the TB and new fuel line i recently replaced. Anything else?

StevenL
01-04-2010, 06:34 PM
i guess a better question what can be used off a full size vehicle.

atm92484
01-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Its your project; use as much or as little as you want (or as your budget requires).

Do some cost vs. benefit analysis. Are the several pounds worth saving a few bucks?

Adambomb
01-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I personally can't think of anything I'd use off a full-size car; even small parts like brake and fuel lines are almost certainly not going to be the right size, have the right fittings, etc. You'd be much better off just e-baying them and using that money to buy parts that fit.

Although I did just have a sweet thought: pull both front seat belts, and one of the rear lap belts (for a submarine strap), fab up a release button similar to the OEM one, and make your own quick-release fully retracting 5-point harness!

Drew Price
01-07-2010, 11:56 PM
With L-Jetronic injection, possibly fuel pressure regulator, injectors (18lb/hr or something like that in the E30, might be suitable size), ignition amplifier, (depending on how much work you want for yourself) sections of the wiring loom so you can have color-coded wiring strands to build into something else, maybe relays or fuse panel depending on your electrical usage, wheels for snows?? (E30 is 4x100 I think, was what we had on our car), heavy guage cable like battery or alternator cable (stuff can be pricey), fluid reservoirs in engine compartment might be useful for something, maybe fuel pump, maybe fuel hardlines, bulkhead connectors and other electrical connectors? (gasket-ed weatherproof connectors are expensive to buy, cheap to clip from a junkyard), and then any structural pieces for mounts / brackets / equipment parts like bumper frames or seat slide rails, thinks that could be made in to other things - depends a lot on what you need to accomplish and if your budget drives some of your design decisions.

The rubber donut halfhaft joints or prop-shaft support bushings could be usefull dyno parts, as well as steering colump pivot, or even hub bearings.

Hard fuel or brake lines could be usefull as mentioned, steal all the hose clamps from the engine radiator hoses, BMW should come with high quality rolled-edge ones that you can use for cooling system, radiator hoses might be able to be adapted...

Speakers could be made into a pit-radio-cart thing with the stereo head unit....

Throttle body on that car will be gargantuan for what you will probably need for the FSAE car (unless it's S14 ITB's, in which case, you should be able to make enough scratch from parting it that you would need to afford nicer ones in the first place....)

Best,
Drew

Best,
Drew