PDA

View Full Version : can i use megasquirt2 for 600cc car engine

neon spark
12-13-2009, 08:26 AM
can i use megasquirt2 for 600cc car engine ?
well m just planning to use this in my 600 cc car engine ... i need deatails from you all experts .. plz reply fast as possible .. and also suggest me any other best solution for ecu for 600cc engine!!!!

neon spark
12-13-2009, 08:26 AM
can i use megasquirt2 for 600cc car engine ?
well m just planning to use this in my 600 cc car engine ... i need deatails from you all experts .. plz reply fast as possible .. and also suggest me any other best solution for ecu for 600cc engine!!!!

Mikey Antonakakis
12-13-2009, 09:55 AM
We used Megasquirt II with the Extra code last year, it worked great. I don't think it can be beat in terms of features for the money. We had to do some modification to run the coil on plugs I think, and we had some small issues with that, but that was because of mistakes we've made. We're running Microsquirt this year.

neon spark
12-14-2009, 12:03 AM
so has your performace mikey last year ..??? so this year you are ready with your car ?? help me dude just tell me microsquirt is easy to handle ??

Mikey Antonakakis
12-14-2009, 01:07 AM
If you don't feel comfortable with the amount of work Megasquirt would require to set up, the go with the Performance Electronics ECU. I personally loved working with MS last year. It has a lot of very useful features, but more importantly really good data logging software. Hopefully this goes without saying, but make sure you have a good wideband O2 sensor and a timing light. Perhaps even exhaust gas temperature sensor as well.

Our car is not yet built this year, but we should have a running engine dyno by the end of winter break.

The biggest thing with Megasquirt is that you have to make some modification to run coil on plug ignition. But once you have it wire up correctly, the software is easy to use and has endless features. I love it.

Adam Vaughan
12-14-2009, 04:07 PM
We've been using the MicroSquirt for our GSXR600 with some pretty good success over the past year. The tuning software is quite a bit better than PE's, and the CAN functionality is pretty powerful once you get it working.

That said, Mikey is right... expect to spend a good amount of time learning how to get the MicroSquirt properly configured.

murpia
12-15-2009, 01:18 AM
To those with experience of MegaSquirt / MicroSquirt, are there any issues with running at the higher engine speeds of bike engines compared to cars?

Regards, Ian

Mikey Antonakakis
12-15-2009, 09:14 PM
We didn't have any issues running to 14k.

neon spark
12-16-2009, 09:20 AM
soo dude i think MS 2 IS easy to handle......did anyone face nay prblm ... if yess how did you handled it thn ... tell

PatClarke
12-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Neon Spark,

For heavens sake, speak English!!

Pat

neon spark
12-17-2009, 01:39 AM
ooh .. patclark
dude i used somne short terms.
well my quetion was did any one here used megaquirt 2 ecu ...
did you face any problem in using megasquirt2.

Big Bird
12-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Pat Clarke is a senior design judge in Formula SAE, and one of the people responsible for this competition's existence. You don't call him "dude".

Write with respect and you will be answered with respect.

PatClarke
12-17-2009, 03:34 AM
Geoff ;-)

Pat

neon spark
12-17-2009, 03:49 AM
i am sorry patclarke.... apolozise me .. i ma new here

Grant Mahler
12-17-2009, 08:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neon spark:
ooh .. patclark
did you face any problem in using megasquirt2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, we used MS2E. Yes, we ran into problems. Yes, they are documented. Use the search function, and ye shall find.

Write in full sentences.

And show some respect. Especially to Pat Clarke (and Geoff).

Mikey Antonakakis
12-17-2009, 01:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grant Mahler:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neon spark:
ooh .. patclark
did you face any problem in using megasquirt2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, we used MS2E. Yes, we ran into problems. Yes, they are documented. Use the search function, and ye shall find.

Write in full sentences.

And show some respect. Especially to Pat Clarke (and Geoff). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Grant,
I did some searching and I can't find anything about you having problems with Megasquirt, other than a discussion about trigger wheels and max RPM. Anything more specific I should be searching for? I searched "Megasquirt" with you as the author and only came up with a few threads.

Grant Mahler
12-17-2009, 03:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey Antonakakis:

Grant,
I did some searching and I can't find anything about you having problems with Megasquirt, other than a discussion about trigger wheels and max RPM. Anything more specific I should be searching for? I searched "Megasquirt" with you as the author and only came up with a few threads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right. I never ended up posting all the PMs about MS2E. I screwed up. Searching will not yield you any answers to the problems I had. But it will yield many answers.

Search away!

Geoffct
01-02-2010, 02:14 AM
MS works fine on SAE cars. Be careful talking to judges though, they tend to dislike the MS ecus as they're too limited (no daq etc.) Make sure the ECU matches the car.

Post specifics over on the MS forums, but the timing can sometimes be tricky.

Geoff Turner

Mikey Antonakakis
01-02-2010, 09:13 AM
No DAQ? You can definitely datalog on the dyno, although I'm not really sure what it would take (other than sticking a laptop in the car with you while you drive around) to datalog on the track. The MS datalog software is pretty good, at least "good enough." It logs timing, pulse width, battery voltage, AFR, RPM, TPS, MAP, and that's just by default. It also records a lot of other things, but I haven't really messed with them.

Grant Mahler
01-02-2010, 09:52 AM
MS2 has fine DAQ. The best way to do it is to use the standalone datalogger, which is cheap and stores to an SD memory stick. Or you can ebay an old Palm and datalog on that.

I would imagine the reason the judges turn their noses down on MS is because it is quite often very poorly implemented. The judges turn their noses down on poorly implemented anything - Motec, AEM, or MS.