PDA

View Full Version : 428 Chain/Sprocket Information

Skorpedo
12-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi All,
The University of Windsor is in a tight spot regarding our Drivetrain/Sprocket design. Due to space limitations, we might be forced to run a 428 Final Drive. I have searched all posts, but the majority are over 2 yrs old so I would like to start a fresh discussion.

We are wondering if any teams currently are or have used the 428 Chain/Sprocket size in the past? If so, what were the results? Any failures? Premature wear?

Also, if any teams are interested we could pool together to get a bulk order of sprockets somewhere to save some cash. Thank you.

TorqueWrench
12-16-2009, 06:22 PM
UB has used 428 chain on all its recent vehicles. I have noticed some wear on the aluminum driven sprocket, but nothing too extreme.No sprocket failures, no broken chains and no wear on the drive sprocket. The wear on the driven sprocket was mainly on the sides, which I would write off mostly to axial shift of the rear axle assembly during cornering. We do run a CVT though, so shock loading through the system is significantly reduced compared to a sequential box.

EDIT: Should mention our aluminum sprocket was 46 teeth.

The AFX Master
12-16-2009, 07:10 PM
We also were using 428's from 2007. Main problems arise if your sprocket is fairly small (say less than 50T i think). You can use aluminum sprockets. The only chains to go: the very best of EK or DID. The EK reinforced series for enduro or dirt bikes is a hell of a chain for the size, also the DID V-series.

Avoid chains like the 428H from EK, since they are targeted to smaller city bikes.

Just as a side note.. you can design a 520 setup (we did) with the very same gear ratios, and similar sprocket sizes.. just do the math.

Skorpedo
12-17-2009, 04:35 AM
Thanks Guys,
As an add-on to the question, what engines have you been running?

The AFX Master
12-17-2009, 06:12 AM
N/A 2002 F4i

TorqueWrench
12-17-2009, 07:59 AM
Briggs and Stratton V-Twin